News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

High performance oiling mods for 500 inch motor

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, December 23, 2018, 11:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

As anyone who has actually seen the insides of a 472/500 inch motor the size of the rod and main crank journals are very generous. They should be capable of much more horsepower than the Engineers ever intended and they are.  The oiling system likewise is sufficient to keep these motors (if the oil is up to capacity) running for several hundred thousand miles without failure.
The oil pump too is more than sufficient.
When, however modifications to the motor are made for high performance that allow higher motor speeds (this motor was designed to run at a maximum of about 4600 RPM) over 5000 RPM the seemingly singular pitfall becomes apparent.  Due to the oil circuitry where oil is fed first to the passenger side gallery which serves the lifters, cam shaft, rods and mains and then fed (via the crossover passage) to the drivers side gallery, the "end of the line" where the oil pressure sensor is is also where the rear main and crank throw bearings reside.
The short version is that it is not uncommon for #7 and/or#8 rod bearings to be destroyed with an extended 6000 RPM "jaunt".
Folks in the esoteric Cadillac high performance arena have tried several remedies without much success but have found that by running an auxiliary oil lone from the factory plugged high pressure port just above the pump around to the back of the motor and tapping into the galleries through existing plugged gallery plugs oil is distributed equally and the inherent short fall is overcome.  You ask how I found the short fall? 6200 RPM.
Anyhow my motor is going back together and I have included a couple of shots of the oil system plumbing. 
I know this is purely academic for most of you but some might find it interesting.  I wonder what Robert Templin would think?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

wrench

Greg, thanks for the info...First question is why you went with rigid tubing instead of flex lines?

Are the lines steel or aluminum?
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Jim,
The lines are Steel.  Flexible lines are intended when there might be relative movement between the two ends of said line.  There should be VERY LITTLE movement between the front and the rear of the block.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

DeVille68

very interesting! On my engine the #8 connecting rod bearing failed (spun), however I certainly never drove the car with rpms over 4500. During the rebuild I have not found the reason for the failure.
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Nicholas,
#8 is "at the end of the line" in the oiling system, so anything that effects oil delivery such as a weak pump, plugged filter, excessive leakage elsewhere (excessive lifter/bore clearances), or debris in the oil galeries will get to #8 first.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

DeVille68

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 25, 2018, 03:12:56 PM
Nicholas,
#8 is "at the end of the line" in the oiling system, so anything that effects oil delivery such as a weak pump, plugged filter, excessive leakage elsewhere (excessive lifter/bore clearances), or debris in the oil galeries will get to #8 first.
Greg Surfas
Ok, maybe there was left over debris from a previous rebuild. However, I was not sure how much debris was from the recent bearing failure. The bearing where already oversized.
I understand that the pressure sensor / gauge is also at the end, so could one check the pressure readings?

Would you need move the location of your pressure sensor because it is not at the end of the oiling system anymore?

Doesn't show in the picture but the blue fitting in the rear that is shown going into the oil pressure sensor tap has a female pipe thread on the side here pressure sensor and gage wll go.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: DeVille68 on December 26, 2018, 03:42:04 PM
Would you need move the location of your pressure sensor because it is not at the end of the oiling system anymore? 
You always want your pressure sensor at the end simply because it will show any pressure loss throughout the system.

Having it at the pump will only indicate a pump failure.

BUT, the big thing is to actually monitor the gauges and not simply forget about them.

The best thing is to include a warning buzzer to immediately alert the operator that something is not right.  Lights are good, but the buzzer is instantaneous.   As long as it is louder that the rest of the noises within the car, or without the car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bruce,
Simply put there are 3 actual "end of the circuitry" points in the 500 inch motor's oiling system.  The location of the pressure sensor on the stock motor is a compromise and it is possible to have low oil pressure at several points without it activating the sensor at (I believe it is) 8 psig.  You are correct also in a "Warning system", and that consists of a big b right red light just opposite the shift light on my dash.  Buzzer? You have to be kidding. Ambient sound at 6000 RPM with open headers and 110 MPH is something approaching 120db.
Remember this is not a modification necessary for a 500 until you get somewhere into the 500 HP and 6000+ RPM.
Greg Surfas 
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

Most of the classic American engines have pretty similar oil paths and systems don't they?    What was the setup on the V-12 WW2 aircraft engines?   Those had some pretty big pistons to throw around and I assume ran at a pretty high rpm especially considering their size. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

I was just wondering how someone would design the oiling system of a big engine that you planned on spinning fast and I was assuming the WW2 V12 plane engines would qualify as big and fast so I wondered how they did it.   

Also wondered if any of the car makers ever did anything significantly different oil path wise or if they were all more or less the same?   I assume some of the other 'big blocks' from the 500 era were expected and rated to spin pretty fast how did they more or less survive?

TJ,
Engines such as the Allison 1600 and the RR Merlin as well as the high output  radial engines were dry sump oil systems.  That means that the designers could introduce oil through external lines to the points that they thought most needy.  That said, 3000 RPM was the "war emergency" red line for these motors and they were only expected to last something like 300-500 hours before replacement. Most of these motors were extremely complex and so were there oil circuitry.

Regarding other (than Cadillac) manufacturer's V-8 oiling systems, many feed the crankshaft directly (first in line) from the pump or have multiple parallel oil galleries.  That means they feed the cam/crank directly off of a gallery and the lifters/valve trains off their own supply gallery. 

The galleries in the Cadillac depend upon a cross-over between the two galleries which is just aft of the second cam bearing to feed the drivers side valve train and the rear main and rear crank throw.

This oiling system is more than adequate for all "Normal" expected operations of this motor, but when pushed into the 500+ HP and 6000+ RPM the shortfall is the last main/crank throw.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

Thanks for the info.   I didn't know that 3k was redline for those aircraft engines but it does make sense.   Its got to be some of those pesky laws of physics that make it difficult to make a big mass reciprocate really quickly and survive. 

If you have the answers and don't mind more questions.....

When you put an engine under more stress like in this case are you just trying to get more oil to the bearings?   What happens to the oil that is there when its under stress?   I assume its multiple issues.  Does the increased pressure on the bearings from compression stroke and the force of changing directions just mash the oil out so to speak?  Or the extra heat break it down?  Getting more oil there helps both cool things and replace what was go squished or thrown out?

DeVille68

Interesting! I kinda had the same thoughts but you outlined them nicely!

Lubrication and rotating bearing lubrication is quite a complex combination of viscosity, temperature, clearances, relative rotating speeds, unit area loading, metallurgy, and a myriad  other factors. Aircraft engine speed as the WW II motors were designed is limited by propeller speed or rather propeller tip speeds.  They worked backwards with motor design to maximize output at the propeller speed they were intending to use.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have resisted looking at this thread since it's been up, but finally did so. I know just about enough to be like Penny on Big Bang. I could follow what you guys were talking about and understand it pretty well. I don't have a car with one of these engines, so my interest is moot, but I certainly appreciate having people at hand that can explain (and work out the fix) in such an interesting way. Good job! I've learned something new today.

(My dad worked on the V1710 engine at Allison plant three during WWII and kept some of his manuals, but I never knew that War Emergency Power turned relatively slowly.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry,
"war emergency" power settings increase the blower boost, add a few hundred RPM to the engine speed and engage the "water" (water/methanol) injection.
Greg Surfa
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 28, 2018, 08:06:52 PM
Barry,
"war emergency" power settings increase the blower boost, add a few hundred RPM to the engine speed and engage the "water" (water/methanol) injection.
Greg Surfa
And probably saved many pilots when they really needed the extra grunt to escape.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Did a mock up and the oil line seemed a bit close to the header. Re routed  the line and put it in an insulated jacket. Might wrap the headers also.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille