News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

‘62 Cadillacs in “Green Book”

Started by David Greenburg, December 28, 2018, 03:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I recently had occasion to watch “Green Book.”  Great movie, and not just for the cars.  But it prominently features a ‘62 Cadillac sedan.  The door panels appear to be De Ville style, but the seats and door panels appear monotone, with no texture, and no center armrests, either front, or as one would expect on a Series 62, just in the rear.  My guess is that they covered over the upholstery for filming, although making the interior look so bland really downplays the whole elegance/“it’s a Cadillac” factor.  And there are a lot of shots in which the interior is visible.  I had never noticed this “dumbing down” of a nice old car’s interior in a movie.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

MickeyCaddy

David Greenburg

Interesting. Bedsheets on the seats. Two cars appear in the the movie; the other band members travel in a second, apparently identical car. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

BlackCads

Quote from: MickeyCaddy on December 29, 2018, 12:37:35 AM
Here's a link to a Car and Driver article :

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a25240339/green-book-movie-cadillac/

It was actually three cars.

I just saw The Green Book today. Thank you for posting the link to the article in Car & Driver. It was very interesting and a good read.
A couple of things bothered me. I didn't like seeing the characters closing the doors by pressing on the door glass -- if it were my car used in the movie I would have insisted they close the doors by pressing on the door itself or better yet usng the door handles.
Early in the movie there is an exterior long shot of I think the street outside Carnegie Hall and I'm almost positive I saw a 1964 Cadillac in that scene -- and the movie supposedly takes place in 1962.
Other than that a very entertaining movie and some very nice Cadillacs.

MickeyCaddy

Below is a portion of my post on a different topic in this forum, about annoying automobile inaccuracies in movies - this is the source link:
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=154103.0
â€"â€"â€"
The most recent example I know of is the opening scene in the currently released movie, Green Book. It shows the text "Inspired by a true story" over a black screen; then cuts to a street view of the Copacabana night club; and shows the text "New York City 1962", as a 1964 Chevrolet Impala drives away, and a 1964 Chevrolet taxi cab (likely a Biscayne) drives by. I was yelling at the screen the moment the action began.

At least the third vehicle appears to be age-appropriate: a 1959 Lincoln Capri.

Scot Minesinger

I think we could all write lengthy posts on the wrong years of cars in movies.  However, it is fun to watch the movies for the cars, like say for example "Tin Man", with all those cool late 1950's early 1960's Cadillacs.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: MickeyCaddy on February 19, 2019, 12:49:56 AM
Below is a portion of my post on a different topic in this forum, about annoying automobile inaccuracies in movies - this is the source link:
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=154103.0
â€"â€"â€"
The most recent example I know of is the opening scene in the currently released movie, Green Book. It shows the text "Inspired by a true story" over a black screen; then cuts to a street view of the Copacabana night club; and shows the text "New York City 1962", as a 1964 Chevrolet Impala drives away, and a 1964 Chevrolet taxi cab (likely a Biscayne) drives by. I was yelling at the screen the moment the action began.

At least the third vehicle appears to be age-appropriate: a 1959 Lincoln Capri.

I do this all the time when watching movies.  Drives my wife nuts!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddyholic

The car had  few other problems. The valance around the head lights was silver instead of black. the car smoked. and i remember the wheel covers being wrong.   
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville