News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Things you don't like about your Cadillac...

Started by chrisntam, December 30, 2018, 11:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Here, we extol the greatness of our cars, but there's got to be something that you don't like.

I'll go first.

On my '70, the steering wheel spoke is right in the line of sight of the radio.  Either I'm too tall or bad planning.....

What are your nuisances with your car?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

You may be too tall, or not adjusted your seat low enough, as my 1970 Cadillac does not impact me that way.  I'm 5'-9" and considering that cars in general have to work for people that may range from 5'-0" thru 6'-4", my height is probably ideal from a car comfort perspective.

Anyway the reason I bought a 1970 Cadillac is that the reasons I like it are many, and the reasons I do not are very few. 

The engine/trans, styling, modern safety and convenience features are the strong points.  I do not care much for the styling of the dash is my main complaint.  Frankly never liked the look of a Cadillac dash until 1974, then they got it right then and for many years thereafter.  The 1969 thru 1973 Cadillac dash is my least favorite. My favorite dash of all time is the 1964-66 Thunderbirds.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeepers Creepers

Because I drive my Caddy when ever I can, at a petrol/gas station, I find I have to put my right heel of my shoe on one side of my wallet and use a pry bar to get it open to retrieve some cash to pay for the fuel I just got.
Stuff me sideways, these things can chew through some fuel. :o

Also, when I drive, i rest my left arm on the arm rest.... (well named, that bit) so my hands are sought of at 8 and 1 o'clock on the wheel.
So I have to move my right thumb a tad to see the temp gauge. (true story)

I've tried other driving positions, but I feel the most comfortable at the 8 and 1 position.

Did I mention, these ol Cadillac's can use some fuel.

The other day, the wife and I went on a 53 mile, round trip to buy an ice cream each.

Did I mention, these ol Cadillac's can use some fuel.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Lexi

I have a love/hate relationship with the Landau area (sail panels and the tiny rear privacy window) of my '56 Limo. It makes for hazardous driving as there are tons of blind spots. That with the fact that the car has only a driver side mirror adds to this driving handicap. Further to this issue, if the partition window is raised there are lots of times where you pick up the reflections of vehicles in your rear view mirror. For a moment you think the vehicle observed is behind you but it is actually in front, as it is a partition window reflection. This makes for a sudden jolt of terror as you quickly become confused until you realize it is just a reflection. I would imagine this is unique to vehicles with division windows and possibly phaeton models. Fantastic styling though, but at the cost of safety. Clay/Lexi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Only complaint is fuel mileage but since my older cars see limited use, the problem is relative.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

spolij

59-in-pieces

OK, hold on to your jodhpurs.
I have not mentioned a disparaging word about 59 Eldos, until now.

You know the passenger side-view mirror - you pay extra for; well, it is worthless - to me.
Placed perfectly (by way of a template) when the cars were originally made - they are all in the same place.
Sitting or driving, the vent window is right in the way, to make the mirror useful - unless I crane my neck forwards or backwards.
How do I get around it, I put the top down and look over my right shoulder - unless it's raining.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

caddydaddy1960

Steve,

Regarding the right side rear view mirror on your '59.  I decided to add one to my '60 Coupe de Ville recently.  After much thought, I decided to move it to a useful spot, past the vent window, rather than where it was "supposed" to be.  Much better visibility, much safer driving in traffic.  I suppose I might lose a point or two when the car is judged, but I would much rather be safe when driving her in modern traffic.

Michael
1960 6337 Coupe Deville (sold 12/20)
1966 68339 Sedan Deville
1974 C6EL67 Fleetwood Eldorado ELC

Director, West Michigan Region CLC

Jay Friedman

I love my '49, but its one major negative is that it has no AC.  I could install an after market AC, but it would mean converting the car's 6 volt electrics to 12v and a major amount of installation work.  So, I just suffer through summers.

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on December 30, 2018, 04:10:16 PM.....I have not mentioned a disparaging word about 59 Eldos, until now. You know the passenger side-view mirror - you pay extra for; well, it is worthless - to me.  Placed perfectly (by way of a template) when the cars were originally made - they are all in the same place.  Sitting or driving, the vent window is right in the way, to make the mirror useful - unless I crane my neck forwards or backwards.....Steve B.

Original right-side '49 mirrors are placed equally badly and they are clamped to the door frame.  I solved the problem as far as I'm concerned by removing them both.  I installed a pair of 1950-53 mirrors on the door body instead, with the right one placed so that I can actually see if someone is trying to head me off at the pass from that side.  It's partially but not totally authentic as they are Cadillac mirrors.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Cape Cod Fleetwood

X3 on the pax side mirror, wish The Ark had one. I turn around to look hard to the right and see the reading light on the sail panel... Judges, what's the penalty for adding this? Even though it was an option? Sounds like something else to add to 'the list' next winter.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Laurie:

The hardest part will be to locate a good example of
a passenger side mirror.  No judge will deduct for that
as he / she would need to look at your build sheet to
see if your car had that option.

We're here to help -- I'm sure we can locate the correct
one for you.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

gross707

What do I not like about my old Cadiilac?  Nothing.  Yes, she has shortcomings but I accept them as quaint foibles of a time and mindset long past and gladly put up with them as the admission price for driving what for many is only a dream. 
Gerald Ross

Dan LeBlanc

What I didn't like about the 61 - no a/c - not the car's fault, it just wasn't ordered with it.  If it had a/c, I would've probably kept it and added something like my 77 Fleetwood to do the brunt of the driving.

What I didn't like about the 70 - the noise with the top up.  No, the top wasn't leaking.  It had new seals all around.  It was the wind noise of the air coming up and over the windshield.  Yes, I had the headliner with insulation installed as well.  Plus, it wasn't happy on our 91 octane fuel.

As far as the 77 goes, my only complaint, and it's a very minor one, and I have the same complaint about the 77 Lincoln is the cable actuated side view mirrors.  Electric power would be nice as the cable actuated mirrors are pretty crappy to operate.  I usually set my mirrors once and forget about them, anyway.  So far, it is the nicest riding, easiest to drive, most comfortable "old car" I have owned.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

D.Smith

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on December 31, 2018, 01:05:24 AM
Hi Laurie:

The hardest part will be to locate a good example of
a passenger side mirror.  No judge will deduct for that
as he / she would need to look at your build sheet to
see if your car had that option.

We're here to help -- I'm sure we can locate the correct
one for you.

Mike

Agreed!     No judge can deduct for an added passenger side mirror if it is a correct OEM one and properly installed.   They have no way to tell if it was added at the dealer new on request or three days ago.     

And even if it was added by the dealer before delivery it is still a valid option.       

I like having a right side mirror.  They are not just functional but the car looks like a one winged duck from front without the passenger side one.   Not so much on pre-68 cars.    Those old small round mirrors are pretty useless. 

My pet peeve of my 61 is the lack of A/C. 
The spare tire is on the floor and takes up WAY too much space.   Unlike the 61 Buicks which have their spare up on the shelf out of the way.

D.Smith

Quote from: StevenTuck on December 31, 2018, 08:11:38 AM
One other issue I have always had was dealer's placing their name on the back of the vehicle. Today it is a sticker that fades or washes away after a short period of time. However, some collectors relish a chrome dealer name plate on their cars. Most probably didn't like it back then since mine never had one.

So right!     People hated those dealer emblems.  "They aren't paying me to advertise for them" was a common gripe.     I still peel the decals off my new cars. 

But on vintage cars I love them!     They add to the cars history.    I wish my 61 came with one.   I've been searching for one from "BERKSHIRE AUTO COMPANY of Pittsfield, MASS" for a while now.  No such luck yet.

D.Smith

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 31, 2018, 08:05:35 AM
As far as the 77 goes, my only complaint, and it's a very minor one, and I have the same complaint about the 77 Lincoln is the cable actuated side view mirrors.  Electric power would be nice as the cable actuated mirrors are pretty crappy to operate.  I usually set my mirrors once and forget about them, anyway.  So far, it is the nicest riding, easiest to drive, most comfortable "old car" I have owned.

Dan,    The previous owner of my former 75 Eldorado convertible had the same complaint.    He converted the side mirrors to power ones.   He swapped the heads, ran the wires and installed the power joystick controls in the same spot the cable controls were.    There was zero visible difference other than the mirror lens said "Heated" on them.  They worked perfect, never vibrated. 

76eldo

Laurie,

Most of the right side mirrors on the 69/70 cars were dealer add on's.  If you can find a proper 70 Deville series right side mirror with nice chrome be prepare to spend about $600.00 which is the going rate.  They were designed to install easily without removing the door panel so if you look for one make sure it has the special button head fasteners.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Smith

Prices on those 68-70 mirrors are insane.  Especially for the Eldorados.

Both types are being reproduced now.

Jay Friedman

Quote from: StevenTuck on December 31, 2018, 08:11:38 AM....One other issue I have always had was dealer's placing their name on the back of the vehicle. Today it is a sticker that fades or washes away after a short period of time. However, some collectors relish a chrome dealer name plate on their cars. Most probably didn't like it back then either. My car never had one.

I've gone the opposite way re: free dealer ads on the back of new cars.  Some years ago I was able to trace my '49's history and learned it was sold new by Rickenbaugh Motors in Denver.  On the last day of a visit to that city earlier this year, my wife and I realized we would be passing near the dealership (which is still in the same location) on our way to the airport.  We stopped in and were cordially greeted by the service manager.  He then introduced us to a mechanic who has worked on some local CLC members' cars and who owned a vintage Cad himself.  Chatted with them for a while and then asked if I could have a license plate frame with the dealership name on it.  He gave me several, one of which is now on my Cad.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I hardly ever rely on passenger mirrors generally so I don't miss them all that much, less still if it can't be controlled from the driver's seat.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute