News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gauges

Started by spolij, December 30, 2018, 01:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spolij

Can anybody recommend a good volt meter and vacume gauge. Preferably from lowes or home depot.
$50 or less each.

Bobby B

John,
You're really not going to get a really good VOM for that price. Vacuum gauge yes, probably under $25.00 at any local parts store. You can get a FREE VOM at Harbor Freight with a coupon when you purchase something. I have a few of them sitting around if you want one. They'll most likely be fine for what you need, but they don't compare to my $200.00-300.00 Flukes. If you need accuracy, spend the money or get one used on eBay for around $50.00. Just my advice. Good Luck!
                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

If you are on a tight budget for a vacuum gauge I would get something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-69328.html

It has the gauge plus can test vacuum dodads plus can be handy for sucking fluids like brakes and other places you want to suck fluid from.  They are usually around $25 and available from parts stores as well as other places that sell automotive tools.

For voltmeters you said $50 and Home Depot.   This one looks decent and seems to have all the real features you would want except for automotive specific stuff.   Auto specific stuff would be like dwell and tach functions.  I'm not sure if you can get that stuff plus the stuff like in the link one for $50 or not.    Autorange I would say is a must.  The 10amp current can be handy for cars looking for current draws. 
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multi-Meter-MM400/206517333
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

savemy67

Hello John,

Your post's title is "Gauges".  Are you looking for gauges that you can mount inside your car to monitor engine vacuum and charging system performance?  If so, VDO, AutoMeter, and Stewart Warner are a few leading gauge manufacturers.  I think vacuum and voltmeter/ammeter gauges are less critical than coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges.  If the name brand gauges exceed your budget, you will probably be OK with some of the import brands available at your local parts store.

If you are looking for testing tools, then Bobby and TJ have provided useful information.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Bobby B

Quote from: savemy67 on December 30, 2018, 04:05:53 PM
Hello John,
Your post's title is "Gauges".  Are you looking for gauges that you can mount inside your car to monitor engine vacuum and charging system performance? 

Now I'm Confused  ???........
I figured he meant meters/testing devices since he said Lowe's and The Home Depot. I didn't think they actually carried either gauges or testing devices that were auto related. Was just a guess......
                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

I too made the assumption he was talking about tools based on the implication that he was going to walk into a home depot to get them.  It would not surprise me to find out that they somehow sold auto gauges online but I have never noticed them in stores.   Maybe some do?   Maybe something being test marketed? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

spolij

Thanks all. I did buy both from advance Auto. They seem to be adequate. That volt meter manuel is like reading greek. Can't even figure how to test continuity! lol It does state that it has automotive functions.