News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Napa Carlyle Tools are great quality! A better craftsman alternative.

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, December 31, 2018, 05:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

In regards to high quality tools at a reasonable price, I found that after working at Napa for awhile (former employee now), I was able to check out many of their tools, especially the Carlyle line and I have to say the wrench set I purchased for myself for Christmas, has to be the nicest set of wrenches I’ve ever bought next to the Gearwrench wrenches I also own.

This wrench set cost me about $178 with my former discount. I believe it’s over $200 regular price though. Even their ratchets are very nice n smooth and have a high tooth count. The chrome polish are extremely nice on the Carlyle stuff, although they are made in Taiwan, I spoke with a Carlyle rep and they told me Apex tools does not make their tools, they have their own manufacturing plant and every Carlyle tool produced is specifically and “only” Carlyle, no other tool manufacturers makes their tools in case some of you were wondering. Because as we all know the tool industry has heavily consolidated and many brands such as Kolbalt and Husky are probably made by the same tool manufacturer.

Not to brag but the rep also said to me that Carlyle’s quality and focus is competing with the tool truck guys (Snap On, MAC etc..). Here’s some pics of the wrench set.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

TJ Hopland

Interesting.  I have not heard of that brand before.   What are the teeth in the sides of the wrenches supposed to do?

For a while I lived near a napa that had really good people working at it and discovered a lot of stuff they had that I would have never thought to look for there.  All the parts stores make it pretty difficult to find things that are not for a specific year make and model of car.  Tools fall into that category.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 31, 2018, 05:28:15 PM
Interesting.  I have not heard of that brand before.   What are the teeth in the sides of the wrenches supposed to do?

For a while I lived near a napa that had really good people working at it and discovered a lot of stuff they had that I would have never thought to look for there.  All the parts stores make it pretty difficult to find things that are not for a specific year make and model of car.  Tools fall into that category.

The teeth are for better grip on bolts and prevent stripping. Not every Napa sells Carlyle tools so it depends on your location and if the store is corporate or independently owned. Autozone and the likes tools are ok but they don’t sell quality stuff like Carlyle. Plus you can find good specialty tools at Napa that nobody else has.

I want to get a socket set soon and especially their screw driver set which are also extremely nice. You can order their products online if you don’t live close to a Napa.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The former supplier to NAPA, J.C. Penney and Sears
of ratchet socket sets and other hand tools was the
New Britain Machine Tool Company of New Britain
CT.  They went out of business and the plant closed
in 1990.  They also supplied items to MAC and Matco.

Back in the mid 60's I purchased a complete socket
set in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive (a "Penncraft" set
from Penney's) which has lasted all these years. 
That's a testament to the made in U.S.A. quality
which sadly is hard to find these days.  That set
cost me all of $35 if I remember correctly.

Lots of work done on my Cadillacs with these tools!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TJ Hopland

I never knew Penneys had tools.   One of my Eldo's came with Penneys branded tires.   

I remember Montgomery Wards had some tools and power equipment but I never remember them having the selection sears had. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jason Edge

You know, we have a NAPA store right down the road from me but have never even been in it. We have an AutoZone right around the corner and that has always been my go to store, but seeing this post about their tools makes me think that I need to just march right in there and see what they have to offer. Being retired for 4 years (as of today) I have no excuse not to check out these "other" local stores.  I will have to see if that local NAPA has the Carlyle tools.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jon Hunter

Here is the online catalog link. Carlyle makes lots of nice quality tools. Going to order a 360° ratcheting flare wrench and try it out.

https://www.napaecatalog.com/?market=12&origin=
Jon Hunter
Lifetime Member
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2005 Deville
2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

64\/54Cadillacking

Heres a direct link to the site.https://www.carlyletools.com/products/

Yeah, there isn’t a whole lot of Napa’s anymore and or there shutting down left and right locally especially due to the high cost of doing business in CA.

Napa still focuses on commercial sales, their business model is like 75% commercial and only 25% retail. Also a lot of shop mechanics would order Carlyle stuff, everything from floor jacks, wrenches and sockets to massive sledgehammers. Theres tools that stores don’t stock but can be ordered into a store for you if you see something you like online.

Jason, definitely check out your local Napa. 8)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Glen

Customer service is better at NAPA than the other chain stores, but you still have to go the old guy for the older car parts.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Glen on January 02, 2019, 01:59:45 AM
Customer service is better at NAPA than the other chain stores, but you still have to go the old guy for the older car parts.

Very true, they just don’t put anyone at the counter at Napa. It’s not like Autozone or O’Reilly’s where they usually put any kid off the street to work counter. The counter people at Napa at least at the corporate owned stores train their counter people first and make sure they know about cars, measurements, fitments and automotive terminologies or else they won’t hire you.

The old guys are the best and know so much. We had a few long timers that have been with the company 20 and 30 years. They pay better at Napa than other parts stores which helps keep them long term as well.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Jon Hunter

Several Carlyle tools on sale and clearance until March 31 (while supplies last) in the Napa Real Deals flyer/booklet. More than 50% off.
Jon Hunter
Lifetime Member
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2005 Deville
2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

Jon S

What most people do not realize is that Sears issued requests for proposal  on specifications for their tools and always Purchased from the low priced bidder.  As such the quality of Sears Craftsman tools were never consistent because they could be made by one supplier or another and there was no way of telling. However Sears did offer a lifetime warranty which made their tools far superior to others of the time.  Today many manufacturers offer similar lifetime warranties.

If Sears had kept to their basics - auto parts, tools, appliances and jeans they would still be in business.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

fishnjim

The "C" used to be good.   But the ones they have now are not as.   Made in two different countries now.
Yes, new britain was v-good.   Old craftsmen - good.   
It's a giant problem in my opinion.   We only get "residential" quality tools anymore, and even the pro stuff is watered down.   I researched this and it's disturbing.   I've found some good tools, through trial and error, but most of the down the street stuff is crappolla.
As far as I know Cornwell is about the only good wrench tools made in the USA.   Not easy to locate, based in OH.   One of the factories is down the street from my sisters place.
They don't sell on line either(?)   I need some sockets and have been trying to get these.

harvey b

Not sure if we have carlyle tools in Canada,the local NAPAs here have a line called Ultrapro,i use them all the time in my shop,havent broke any yet,and if i do,pickup the phone and they will bring me a new one,the local napa is 15 miles away and they deliver all my supplies daily,best place in my neck of the woods,closer places then them,but dont have the service they have.Ultrapro is every bit as good as tool truck tools,but at 1/4 the prices,they may not have the specialty stuff but have near all you ever need. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

pmhowe

When I was 16, I bought my first 1/2" socket set. It was made by Indestro. I used it to take apart and reassemble my first car, a 1928 Hudson Super Six. It was good quality.  I still have the socket set and ratchet wrench. I haven't seen another Indestro tool in years,
Phil

35-709

From the internet ---

"Duro and Indestro continued to prosper during the 1940s and '50s, but by the 1960s appeared to be losing ground to other competitors. Sometime during the '60s the Indestro operations were formally merged into Duro Metal Products, and the tools began appearing with dual brands "Duro-Indestro".

The tool lines were "harmonized", which unfortunately meant that some of the special higher-end features of the Duro-Chrome tools were dropped.

The company continued operating through the 1970s and 1980s, and was finally closed in 1990."
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2