News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Electric Fuel Injection Question

Started by e.kempton, December 31, 2018, 05:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e.kempton

Is the Electric Fuel Injection the same in a 1980 Eldorado with a 368 V-8 and a 1979 Eldorado with a 350 V-8? 

TJ Hopland

Nope.   79 was the analog multiport system mostly known from the Seville.    80 was what they called DEFI which was a throttle body injection system with on board self diagnostics.   It more or less became the GM TBI system that was used on a lot of models including the trucks from 87-95.   The Cad system was a little more fancy than the rest but the basic concepts were the same.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

e.kempton

Thanks much.  That is good to know. As I am looking to buy a 1979 or 1980 Eldorado and would like to do my homework on the differences between the two years.

TJ Hopland

The California engine for 80 Eldo was the 79's 350.    Mid year the Buick 4.1V6 4bbl became an option.   All years for that body style the 350 diesel was an option.    Only the Eldo got the DEFI for 80.  It was an option for the Seville who's standard engine was the diesel.   Other cars were still 4bbl carbs.   81 was the 8-6-4 DEFI basically the same system from the 80 with the addition of the solenoids on the rocker arms.

Transmissions were the same 79-81, the 325.  3 speed no lockup based on the rwd 200c so a little better than the original 'metric' 200.   82 the 325 4L came out which was the OD lockup version based on the 200 4r. 

79 was still the 70's climate control with the wheel.  80 was the debut of the digital system which I think was an Eldo only thing.  I think the rest of the cars got it in 81.

I believe the Eldo's all had rear disc and level ride standard.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

You should contact me about an Eldo.
I have 1980 and 1981 Hess and Eisenhardt convertibles.
If interested these are rare cars.

My email is rachlin@comcast.net.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv