News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

To get this 66 Sedan deVille running

Started by 66 Sedan deVille, January 05, 2019, 12:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66 Sedan deVille

I have acquired a 1966 Sedan deville that has been sitting in a garage for the past 3 1/2 years and has not been started.

I siphoned about ten gallons of gas out of the tank and replaced it with premium leaded gas.
I removed the plugs and squirted Mystery Oil, installed a new battery, replaced the fuel pump, some fuel line, and I am dealing with a recurring leak in the fuel filter assembly. I have also added two quarts Mercon V in trans as the car would barely move beforehand.

Now, after the car idles smoothly for about ten minutes white smoke appears coming out of the tailpipe and a couple more minutes this same smoke, or maybe steam, appears under the hood. The temp gauge shows only some movement and it seems to me the engine is overheating although I see no coolant leaks. I replaced the thermostat and the problem persisted.

I suspect the water pump or something more serious, however before the car was parked in 2015, it had been tuned up at a shop and sent home in good running order.

If you all have ideas and suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, R Webb
Angleton, Tx

Glen

The best way IMHO is to remove the lock from one of the doors.  It will have a number on it. That is the key code.  Send that to Jessers Classic Keys Jessers They will make a perfect copy from the code.  Don’t forget to get the code from the trunk lock at the same time. The trunk key opens the glove box too. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Either call a locksmith, who can pull a door lock cylinder and make a key, or pull a door cylinder yourself and take it to a locksmith.

Chuck Swanson

You can also remove the inner pillar molding on windshield, remove dash, remove radio.  Use a Dremel to carefully remove plastic behind ignition lock to make hole bigger to remove lock.  Take screws off metal facia, remove, and bring lock and metal facia to locksmith :)  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

66 Sedan deVille

Are you saying that the key code on the door lock is used to make a key for the ignition?

Glen

Yes, at least originally.  If the ignition has been changed then maybe not.  Originally the car came with two keys, one key fit the doors and the ignition.  The second key fit the trunk and glovebox.  Think leaving your car with the Valet. He has only the door/ignition key and cannot the open the trunk or glovebox. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

fishnjim

If it's been sitting that long you need to do more than just get keys.   Fuel system, engine, electrics, etc.   Probably should pull plugs, blow out the cylinders, and spray some WD in each cylinder and let sit.   Some prefer mystery oil, or regular oil.  Then turn over by hand first before try to start it.  Easy to bend a rod if it's stuck.   I like to take the valve covers off and look at the cleanliness/check, as a gauge of how the vehicle was treated/maintained.  Change all the fluids, even brake, belts and hoses.  Pull wheels and inspect the brake, seals, etc  Also, check/blow out the intake/exhaust to make sure no varmints had taken residence/stored.    The carb should be pulled and cleaned at a minimum and drain the tank/line and flush.   Fresh gas.    Don't put the battery in til you checked it all.  Compression test, start, then tune it up once it gets running.   If test was low, then repeat after it gets up to temp or run for some time.
Time time spent up front will prevent problems and lost time, if you don't prepare.  Otherwise, you'll be on here asking about other stuff; rough idle, won't rev, etc that should've been taken care of.
If the build sheet is on the car, it'll have the key code, maybe the owners card/paperwork.   GM archive won't give out key codes any more.   I'd just re-key.   Send all the cylinders to Joey(Jesser's)  Call him.(330)-376-8181 (Akron OH) or a local smith.   But amazingly some won't make house calls anymore.

66 Sedan deVille

chrisntam

Quote from: fishnjim on January 05, 2019, 01:25:58 PM
If it's been sitting that long you need to do more than just get keys.   Fuel system, engine, electrics, etc.   Probably should pull plugs, blow out the cylinders, and spray some WD in each cylinder and let sit.   Some prefer mystery oil, or regular oil.  Then turn over by hand first before try to start it.  Easy to bend a rod if it's stuck.   I like to take the valve covers off and look at the cleanliness/check, as a gauge of how the vehicle was treated/maintained.  Change all the fluids, even brake, belts and hoses.  Pull wheels and inspect the brake, seals, etc  Also, check/blow out the intake/exhaust to make sure no varmints had taken residence/stored.    The carb should be pulled and cleaned at a minimum and drain the tank/line and flush.   Fresh gas.    Don't put the battery in til you checked it all.  Compression test, start, then tune it up once it gets running.   If test was low, then repeat after it gets up to temp or run for some time.
Time time spent up front will prevent problems and lost time, if you don't prepare.  Otherwise, you'll be on here asking about other stuff; rough idle, won't rev, etc that should've been taken care of.
If the build sheet is on the car, it'll have the key code, maybe the owners card/paperwork.   GM archive won't give out key codes any more.   I'd just re-key.   Send all the cylinders to Joey(Jesser's)  Call him.(330)-376-8181 (Akron OH) or a local smith.   But amazingly some won't make house calls anymore.

So you're saying he should be able to knock this out in an afternoon?

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: 1966Deville on January 06, 2019, 02:38:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the information!
Some of these suggestions are WAY too involved. Hire the best locksmith to come out & impression both the door lock cylinder & trunk.
Good luck, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

Just for the record here are the keys Jessers sent me for my Eldorado.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

spolij

Robert
I bought my 66 devile conv. last year. It ran great in Mischigan. A week after i got it home every thing started breaking down. Power steering pump, all three belts, battery, alt., pump tubing and cylinders for the top,  timing chain, heater core, many vacume hoses, heater quit etc. What a mess. Replacing the heater core i found 3 mouse nests. Later, found out it was sitting outside for six years, also never started.
Hope you will have better luck, but be prepared.

bcroe

I have gotten some nice cars that way.  Very first thing would be
to make sure the engine is not damaged on startup.  Take out
the plugs, add some of the above to soak, then spin it till full
(new) oil pressure is established. 

After that be concerned with tires and brakes, I replace them all
on a very regular basis.  Brake lines rust, does that car have a dual
system? 

Than go after all the original rubber in the engine, trans, fuel
system, suspension, cooling system, engine lines. 

Oh, the locks.  Procedure here is make up 4 locks that match my
existing master key lock system.  Install and use the usual key. 
This process has happened a few times here.  Bruce Roe

Jon Hunter

if you have an older GM dealer in the area, they can still make keys for you provided you have the codes. You may have to buy key blanks of ebay or elsewhere. Like the above posts stated, door lock cylinders have the 4 digit code on them that matches the ignition. Easy to pull a panel off and get it.
Jon Hunter
Lifetime Member
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2005 Deville
2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

Jon Hunter

How much for keys and coding at Jesser's? Did not see prices on their site,
Jon Hunter
Lifetime Member
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2005 Deville
2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

Glen

I don’t remember how much I paid, but it was very reasonable as I recall.  Give them a call their number is on the web site. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

66 Sedan deVille

The previous owner finally found the original keys and sent them to me in the mail. Now to prep the car and get it started. And to get a new Texas title for the car which is proving to be somewhat difficult.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Go to the biggest DMV office in your county. Ask to see the lady that's been there the longest and (probably) runs the place with an iron hand. Do what she says to do and you should be able to get your title. If she gets you through the process, praise her to the skies to her boss. This happened to me (after she said it was probably hopeless.) I came back from lunch and she saw me coming and was waving my paperwork and telling me "It's OK. It's done."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bentley

Robert,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find this place to be a tremendous resource. Looks like you found a '66 in really nice condition. Is everything original? I suggest you buy a shop manual. You can find them on ebay or Amazon.

Wes
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

66 Sedan deVille

Hi Wes,

Yes it's all original with a CB radio, the previous owner bought it new, kept it in the garage, and didn't put a lot of miles on it.

Robert