News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldo-vette

Started by GBrown #8092, January 09, 2019, 12:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

Glenn,

The massive engine and frame weight on the front wheels  would clearly provide this fellow with the kind of traction that is so distinctively characteristic of early model Eldorados, but alas, body to ground clearance would be a substantial obstacle for this gentleman's Covette/Cadillac objet art.   Happy day, James

TJ Hopland

Too bad there wasn't a T-Type Riviera in his junkyard that day.   He maybe could have fit its turbo v6 without cutting an off center hole in the hood. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillac ken

James Landi

Ken:

The quotation below provides context for your rhetorical question, and, in my judgement, is clearly worth our consideration when someone creates a special, one off custom auto.

"The donation of Jacobi’s Corvette, according to National Corvette Museum Curator Derek Moore, came at an opportune time.

'We have a lot of examples of Corvettes as they were built at the factory, but we also want to show cars that have been personalized,” he said. “These are some of the stories we want to start telling along with those factory production stories.'”

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: cadillac ken on January 10, 2019, 09:13:58 AM
Why? simply Why?
I suppose because he could.

But, I have found from first hand experience that Corvettes do rust.   In very hard places to access to repair

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Didn't he say something like he wanted a cool car that would handle good in the snow?  Bet a stock Vette was terrible in the snow.  I know a 79-85 Eldo is pretty good especially considering its lacking abs and more modern active traction control.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillac ken

Quote from: James Landi on January 10, 2019, 09:51:30 AM
Ken:

The quotation below provides context for your rhetorical question, and, in my judgement, is clearly worth our consideration when someone creates a special, one off custom auto.

"The donation of Jacobi’s Corvette, according to National Corvette Museum Curator Derek Moore, came at an opportune time.

'We have a lot of examples of Corvettes as they were built at the factory, but we also want to show cars that have been personalized,” he said. “These are some of the stories we want to start telling along with those factory production stories.'”

I "get" modified cars.  I have built and currently own a few.  But I usually like to do mods that make sense.  I'm all for "to each his own" but really I can't see the point here.  Reminds me of a guy that built a rear engine '89(?) Pontiac Firebird.  I can think of a ton of mods that would have made that Firebird a better car.  It's different, sure.  And he can say "everyone said I couldn't do it" or "there's not another one like it".  But I'm still left scratching my head.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I really liked the 500 Eldo in the Porsche.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

I guess it was this guys mission to drive a Vette all year long in the snow and ice as needed.

Vette’s do indeed rot. The frames and the entire cowl structure that they call the birdcage is prone to rusting out.

Car guys will always be around to do mods like this one.
With enough time and beer you can get this kind of stuff done!
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS