News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Shipping parts

Started by Tony clc#24130, January 09, 2019, 10:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony clc#24130

I am trying to buy a molding from a member here but the shipping prices we are encountering are mind blowing. Does anyone have any options other than usps, ups, and fedex. This molding is 8 ft long and the quotes are one and a half the purchase price!!

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Those greyhound buses are like the pony express but....reasonable.

I've shipped 53-55 fenders,..I think they could handle your molding.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Jay Friedman

Greyhound Bus is usually cheaper, but the shipper has to bring the part to the nearest bus station and you have to collect it at the station nearest you. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jason Edge

I have been shipping parts for 20+ years and have learned a few tricks. For US Postal you want to keep size (length + girth) to less than 108" since anything over becomes XL and price goes way up. I ship long thin trim in PVC pipe to protect and keep weight and size down. Not knowing your  size trim, but if it will fit in a 2" or 2 1/2" PVC pipe you can get under the 108" size limit, even at 8ft long!

For example:
if I shipped a 8' piece of trim that would fit in a 2" PVC pipe from North Carolina to California, my PVC pipe would end up about 98" long giving 1" on each end to pad with paper, and with the 2" diameter would come out to 98" + 8" = 106". My shipping price for 5 lb would be $20.82 or  $36.34 for 10 lb.
As far as my pricing, I would pass along to my customer would be $30 and $45 for the 5 and 10 lb to cover for PVC pipe and materials. Still not bad for shipping 5 or 10 lb 8ft trim 3000 miles.

PVC pipe is super strong, very durable, and minimizes the size for shipping. I usually have several orders going out a week in PVC Pipe.  Just shipped out some top of fender crown trim yesterday.  Again for packing I simply pack some newspaper in the end, then cut several strips of duct tape about 6" long and wrap across the end of pipe several times then wrap around the end to lock in.  At first I would buy PVC caps to cover the ends but the newspaper and duct tape work perfect.

This all depends on the trim. I am dealing with thinnish 1963/64 Cadillac Trim. I  know some of that 50's trim gets very thick and of course there is the non-straight trim. If you have thinner straight trim, nothing beats PVC pipe!
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

russ austin

Shipping through paypal can be a lot less.  The buyer needs to have their address pre set into their paypal acct. have the buyer send you 1 dollar and then load the package info in the paypal shipping screen. That will tell you what the cost will be. Paypal does not have you input the package size, just the weight.

If all goes well, the seller pays the price, minus 1 dollar.  If shipping did not turn out a hoped, just do a free refund of the dollar.

Simple and it works.
R.Austin

76eldo

Jason’s detailed reply is spot on.
I have sent 99” 60 Cad quarter moldings to California and I don’t recall the expense being too high.  I PVC tube is the way to go.

I’ve also shipped 60 Eldo rocker moldings in a wooden crate with UPS and it wasn’t crazy.

You have to keep the package as small as possible.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

johnregrus

For larger items like engines or transmissions if you put them on a pallet a little known shipping method is through the retail store chain called Fastenal.

Fastenal distribution ships their store inventory through their distribution network and will also ship your items on their company trucks for you to pickup at any of their retail stores throughout USA and Canada.

if you Google Fastenal Distribution you find the services they provide.
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing I have found is to never use one of those packaging services.

I had to get a steering column and wheel sent to me and the packaging service wanted $US1,700.00 to sent from USA to Australia.   USPS wanted $195.00.   The Sender packaged it, in a cardboard carton and it arrived in a week.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tony clc#24130

It is the rocker molding for a 70 Fleetwood and it is about 5 1/2" wide by 8' long. The pvc option would work but it would be very heavy at that size. Would Greyhound handle a piece that long considering pvc pipe at 6 or 7 inches in diameter? How does the paypal option price the length and weight? There is a Fastenal distribution center reasonably close to my house that could be an option.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The PVC method is the most cost-effective, and lightest method to send stuff like this.

Cardboard tubing gets heavy as the size grows, as the thickness has to grow as well.

I used a length of Concrete Forming tubing to create the packaging for what I carried on the plane with me back home.   Screwed two tin caps over each end.

As you can see, I sliced the tubing down the length, and compressed the sides to reduce the diameter, which allowed my to use a 6" cap.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jason Edge

Quote from: Tony clc#24130 on January 10, 2019, 06:28:44 PM
It is the rocker molding for a 70 Fleetwood and it is about 5 1/2" wide by 8' long. The pvc option would work but it would be very heavy at that size. Would Greyhound handle a piece that long considering pvc pipe at 6 or 7 inches in diameter? How does the paypal option price the length and weight? There is a Fastenal distribution center reasonably close to my house that could be an option.
Tony, the 6" PVC would  put you well over the 108" for Large US Postal item since their size is computed at Length + 2x Width + 2x Height so even if you got it in a PVC pipe at exactly 8' (96") your total size would be 96" + 12" + 12" = 120" and you would pay the XL rate and shipping for either the 5 lb or 10lb example I gave would jump up to $178.87.

Assuming the trim is relatively flat, I would have suggested to instead use a long narrow rectangular box and reinforce with something inside the box like steel rods to protect from bending, but I think you are still going to fall in the 108" to 130" XL US Postal Size Range.   If you can get it in a box say 96" long, x 1" x 6" you are still sitting at 110" overall size .   I do my own postage and have fudged and went over a 1/4" or 1/2" with no problem, but if you get much more than that you risk the item being returned or arriving at its destination with a bill for the extra postage due (which is more likely). 

For long thin trim PVC pipe is ideal, for something long and flat a reinforced long flat box can be used, but your items seems just beyond the range to economically ship with US Postal and might look at other options others have mentioned.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic