News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

No more Cadillacs at Mecum?

Started by chrisntam, January 10, 2019, 09:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

No more Cadillacs at the Mecum auction or did the consolidated thread kill the fun?

:o
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

STS05lg

Chris you got that right, I was going to post the remaining of the cars to keep the conversation going but if people want to bitch about it then let them eat used motor oil.
There was a nice 59 Coupe that sold today for I think $40K.
Looking forward to your convertible pulling into Louisville. See you there.  8)

That is a pity. I enjoyed your original Mecum threads.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is still there.   You just have to look.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan LeBlanc

We did get a few recommendations to consolidate the sale results into one thread and moved out of the for sale section (as technically, these weren't cars for sale in the cleanest sense of the definition).  We do listen to recommendations, and if it makes sense, we act.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I just posted the live link, 4 great Caddy's today, 1 at NO RESERVE.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jeepers Creepers

I watched a bit of it yesterday, but geez Louise. that babble of the auctioneer was just too punishing in the end.

Once I hit the mute button, it was much better.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 11, 2019, 01:04:05 PMI watched a bit of it yesterday, but geez Louise. that babble of the auctioneer was just too punishing in the end.  Once I hit the mute button, it was much better.
I totally concur.   I find it really hard to understand just what the Auctioneer is saying.   And it is not only in the auto auctions but other shows that emanate out of USA.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Cadillacs I saw at Mecum today, will probably go across the block tomorrow, Saturday --- or Sunday.  Incredible show!

#1 & 2 --- 1930 Series 452 V-16 coupe
#3 & 4 --- 1931 Sereis 370 Phaeton V-12
#5  ---  1936 Series 70 Fleetwood Convertible Coupe V-8
#6  ---  1937 Cadillac Resto-mod.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

rajeevx7

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 11, 2019, 05:42:23 PM
I find it really hard to understand....other shows that emanate out of USA.

What this country has done to The Queen’s English is a disgrace to the World :'(

So I specifically watched the 1966 Fleetwood Series 60 sell today for $72k. Then, two cars later accidentally saw another similar vehicle to one of mine sell for $32k. Both cars were A1 museum examples, which mine are not. But, mine are perfection in the ‘driver’ quality class! It’s a good day 8)

Thanks to all who posted links and keep the interest alive!

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 11, 2019, 05:42:23 PM
I totally concur.   I find it really hard to understand just what the Auctioneer is saying.   And it is not only in the auto auctions but other shows that emanate out of USA.

He sounds like a cross between Elmer Fudd and Porky Pig on meth.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

chrisntam

As all forums requires participation to be viable, I recommend posting each auctioned car as it's own thread.  The uninteresting threads will go away, the ones the prompt further discussion can be readily enjoyed.

I like to look at the "menu" of cars (as was originally posted) and comment on the ones of interest.  With the consolidated thread, that can't readily be done.  Kinda like remember that '56 Coupe on page one...….  Keep each car on it's own thread.  This will not go on forever, only about 6 or 7 days.

Agree the posts should be in the General Discussion area.

I enjoy listening to the announcers, but not so much the auctioneer.  The sound engineer needs to do a better job of mixing the voices, if that's possible.  IMO, the Mecum auctions are much more fun to watch/listen to than Barrett Jackson.  Who doesn't love John Kraman saying "That beautiful car has 500 inches of exclusive Cadillac power"?  I also like when the Clone Ranger chimes in.   8)  It's only bad when the announcers describe the car saying ...it's a '41 cabriolet with a power top (Lincoln).... when the car on the block is a coupe.  Happens quite often that their description is off from the car that is on the block...

So what's the relationship with the announcers, the broadcast and the auction?  is the broadcast paid for by Mecum as advertising? Does NBC pay Mecum for the broadcast rights? Do the announcers work for Mecum or NBC?  A quick Google search shows that Kraman is the consignment director at Mecum.  Does anyone know?

I've attended a couple of Mecum Auctions here in Dallas, they used to allow people to view the "sold" cars but no more.  Apparently, people were stealing things from the sold cars, so they no longer allow browsing of those cars, which is really disappointing.  I enjoyed actually looking at the sold cars and seeing what the hammer price was.

I wish I had an extra $1,000,000.00 and plenty of garage space.   ::)

So, with that said, if you are looking for participation, let's keep each car as it's own thread, for the good of the community.

;)

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

35-709

Quote from: 35-709 on January 11, 2019, 07:43:13 PM
Cadillacs I saw at Mecum today, will probably go across the block tomorrow, Saturday --- or Sunday.  Incredible show!

#1 & 2 --- 1930 Series 452 V-16 coupe
#3 & 4 --- 1931 Sereis 370 Phaeton V-12
#5  ---  1936 Series 70 Fleetwood Convertible Coupe V-8
#6  ---  1937 Cadillac Resto-mod.
#1 & 2 --- $155,000
#3 & 4 --- $165,000
#5 --- $70,000 No Sale
#6 --- Did not see

wrench

I unplugged my cable 7 years ago.

Car auction shows would be one of the reasons.

I get a lot more done in the real world now.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

35-709

;D  Yeah, it can get bad can't it?  I used the youtube link that Laurie posted the other day.  Put it on my laptop and had the auction LIVE feed running a good part of the day on a table in my shop while I worked on my '42 --- two birds with one stone.  No commercials.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on January 13, 2019, 11:13:29 AM
;D  Yeah, it can get bad can't it?  I used the youtube link that Laurie posted the other day.  Put it on my laptop and had the auction LIVE feed running a good part of the day on a table in my shop while I worked on my '42 --- two birds with one stone.  No commercials.

That feed was my 'radio' all day on my phone Greg, and getting texts from my friend who was driving there with his lot numbers. I was putting the 2nd coat of paint of some of The Ark's ceiling trim when the first LaFerrari was on the block, I was screaming SELL THE CAR! (the dogs ran into hiding) when the bidding hit 6.1m

And the bid goes on   :o

I was thrilled with some of the prices of the 60's Caddys, there might be a market for the 70's in 10 years. LOL!

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Series75

Typical coverage, muscle car on the block, visible in the background is the nose of a 1966 Bleck Fleetwood.   You just know what's going to happen, they break for commercial.   That black Fleetwood was Ralph's former 66 Brougham.   Has to be a record sale of a 1966 Brougham at $79,200 with 8% buyer fee that's $84,000.   The old saying is "rising tides lift all ships". I hope so.   But then again I've heard "rising tides lift all ships AND cover all wrecks."

Maynard Krebs

I wonder what the percentage of '63 - '66 Fleetwood 60 Specials were NOT painted black?   It's got to be really low!

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Tom,

I was curious to see the bidding, but of course it wasn’t televised. If it’s not a ’59 or goes “Vroom - Vroom” there’s no screen time. The bid was $72000 plus 10% commission. I feel that Cadillacs still  are not bringing the premium nor the appreciation that they should like muscle cars do.  From my homework when selling the car, 8-10% commission for buyer and seller, I decided to sell privately. The auction premiums drive up the final price and accrue to the auction house. That was reinforced speaking with two well-known names at premium auction houses who told me in so many words that a 60’s four door wouldn’t bring $70M……..And, they would not allow a reserve. It has accumulated 163 miles in the last three years. It’s been sold twice with the first two buyers under water. I’ve never looked at old cars as an investment, rather as enjoyment. It appears that some folks still think they can make money flipping luxury cars. Selling price results suggest they should be dealing only in select Cadillac models - read that as 1959 - or Mercedes and E Type Jags. I’m a capitalist and wish the new owner well. Time will tell if he ends in the black……Hope he takes time to enjoy it in the meantime.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on January 13, 2019, 02:27:11 PM
I wonder what the percentage of '63 - '66 Fleetwood 60 Specials were NOT painted black?

Lots.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute