News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hot off the presses, a NEW direction for Cadillac

Started by STS05lg, January 11, 2019, 05:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STS05lg

Read and weep....  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

https://electrek.co/2019/01/10/gm-challenge-tesla-cadillac-lead-electric-brand/

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/GM-To-Push-Cadillac-As-Tesla-Rival.html

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/cadillac-general-motors-electric-car-brand/

And who said they long ago gave up on their customer base of old.

Guess Mary is not bringing back a 700hp V-8 in a full size hardtop anytime soon.

rajeevx7

I lust over short run and rare cars like the ELR was, but only 500 CT6 hybrids! Exclusivity abounds 8)

Tesla has been king for years. There is a line in Johnny Depp’s ‘cocaine’ movie, “If you sell it to Hollywood, the rest of the world will buy it”.

Bill Young

Forgive me for somehow missing the point but how do these articles show that Cadillac has not given  up on it's traditional customer base ?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bill Young on January 12, 2019, 12:11:36 AM
Forgive me for somehow missing the point but how do these articles show that Cadillac has not given  up on it's traditional customer base ?
Cadillacs' "traditional customer base" appears to be anyone that will buy an expensive car.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Never heard of any dealer refusing to sell a car to anyone that can afford one, or wants one.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Very sad news and looks like the beginning of the end
for cars we all enjoy.

The sad fact is that this mad rush to produce electric
cars will do nothing to save the environment (if it indeed
needs to be saved).  The energy needed to fuel electric
cars has to come from someplace -- and that source is the
ones that are in place now:  nuclear and coal fired electrical
plants.

There is also the huge issue of how to recycle all of those
very expensive lithium batteries that these cars will use.

In addition, the environmental "crazies" do no take into
account how much more efficient the internal combustion
engine as become over the last 20 years -- even more so
over the last 50 years.

In short, when you sum up all of the percieved benefits
vs. the actual ones that might be possible, you do not find
any great advantage to electric vehicles.

It's political hoopola my friends. -- and we are the lucky
folks who will have to live with it.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Roger Zimmermann

Mike, I have all the time the impression that people are more stupid that's allowed. In front of their doors, the air will be "clean" but the pollution created by the coal fired plants is far away. Plus the facts about elimination of the products coming to the end of their lives, batteries or nuclear.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Steve Passmore

[quote author=Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 link=topic=153667.msg418210#msg418210 date=154728006  The energy needed to fuel electric
cars has to come from someplace -- and that source is the
ones that are in place now:  nuclear and coal fired electrical
plants.

There is also the huge issue of how to recycle all of those
very expensive lithium batteries that these cars will use.
Mike
[/quote]

EXACTLY Mike. It's what I have been saying all along. Plus, What do they intend to do about the aircraft??  No one ever seems to mention a solution for that. The skies are full of planes, can't see them ever running on batteries.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Big Apple Caddy

Nothing too surprising here.  GM has been talking about EV plans for a while and it would make sense that Cadillac would be their "lead" brand especially given Tesla's current dominance.  If electrification is the future in the auto industry (and yes, there is still debate on whether or not it should be) then Cadillac should be leading that future for GM and not end up a brand stuck in the past while other GM brands or other manufacturers move forward.

jaxops

No surprise after the Government took over GM and mandated electric cars.  I stopped buying new cars in 1988....mostly because I can't afford them!!!!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Cape Cod Fleetwood

So, the same company that gave us CUE wants to be responsible for complete propulsion....
Could we mercifully put Cadillac to sleep and bring back Pontiac now?
JMHO

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

WTL

I've resisted it to this point, but I'm fixing to go full luddite.  And electric cars are a mere trifling annoyance, what with China currently altering the human genome.  This world is not going to be for individuals any longer. 

Why, when I think of it, Kia is the future of electric cars, whether they implement it or not.  Nondescript movement boxes, not cars.  Once the batteries are here, cheap cheap and cheaper. 

C Gorgas

Has anyone had to replace batteries on an electric car? and at what cost? chet 25441

LaSalle5019

Quote from: rajeevx7 on January 11, 2019, 09:00:56 PM
I lust over short run and rare cars like the ELR was, but only 500 CT6 hybrids! Exclusivity abounds 8)

Tesla has been king for years. There is a line in Johnny Depp’s ‘cocaine’ movie, “If you sell it to Hollywood, the rest of the world will buy it”.

One thing that should be considered is that although GM has many faults it is a for profit company and has made profits for the last 8 years. Tesla targeted the luxury EV market and has yet to make a yearly profit in its 15 years of existence. Nice cars but no return on investments yet.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I thought I heard somewhere that Tesla is one of the most subsidised Auto Makers in the country.

Musk even purchased an "abandoned", dilapidated GM factory to make them.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I'll be long gone but something tells me that my grandkids won't be able to enjoy a 50 year old car like I do.
It is hard to imagine a car like that lasting 50 years. Every :Barn Find" had better have been hooked to the ultimate Battery Tender.
Too bad.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Fred Pennington 25635

I think you all are missing a very big point. China has mandated all electric cars. Everyone scoffed when Volvo said it wil stop production of internal combustion engines and build only electric or hybrids next year. Everyone forgets Volvo is now a Chinese company. The electric car push is not US driven. China and Europe are the markets driving this change. Look what is happening in France. Good for those people. They are not allowing the government to tax gasoline out of reach to force the shift to electric cars. GM has put their marketing focus on China because it is the biggest emerging market ever.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Big Apple Caddy

Yes, China is largely the driving force for EVs.  China has also been Cadillac's largest market for a couple of years.  Cadillac sales in China topped 200K in 2018 while sales in the U.S. declined slightly to around 155K.  While Cadillac sales in the U.S. aren't what they used to be, overall/globally things are very good.

jaxops

A mechanic friend of mine said those car batteries could be as much as $15k retail.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

wrench

Then there's that whole exploding on impact battery thingy...

I think I'll wait until they figure that little detail out.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: STS05lg on January 11, 2019, 05:32:39 PM
Guess Mary is not bringing back a 700hp V-8 in a full size hardtop anytime soon.

Hopefully, a good question:  is Mary Barra "a car person" ? ?