News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Breaking news: CT6 to live on

Started by GBrown #8092, January 15, 2019, 12:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

At least for a awhile...

GM Authority: GM Says Cadillac CT6 Will Live On In US After All, Plans To Move Production Underway. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/01/gm-says-cadillac-ct6-will-live-on-in-us-after-all-plans-to-move-production-underway/

If they could only put some headroom in it!

Glenn

T J Lankes

The "NEW" GM same as the "OLD" GM

"Everyone line up in a circle and fire at will"

rajeevx7

Quote from: T J Lankes on January 15, 2019, 12:27:08 PM
"Everyone line up in a circle and fire at will"

Carefully word your instructions given to jar-heads...or maybe you did ;)

Chinese built CT6 on the used market is super tempting for rajeevx7 8)

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: GBrown #8092 on January 15, 2019, 12:14:28 PM
If they could only put some headroom in it!

The CT6 actually has pretty good headroom, better than many of the "land yacht" Cadillacs of decades past.

It's also better than many of today's large sedans including Audi A8 L, BMW 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Lincoln Continental, and others.

Scot Minesinger

Awesome!   I was thinking with the carbon fiber/aluminum body and all that tech invested in the sedan body, it would have to live on.  It is the right decision.  With Ford/Lincoln dropping out of the sedan market, maybe Cadillac will do well here with the CT6.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

GBrown #8092

Big Apple Caddy:  You haven't met me, but I'm admittedly a bit taller than most and find headroom to be lacking in most cars, even more so in SUV's.

But a "Full" sized Cadillac ought to have more head room than a Hyundai Sonata. Not to mention an Escalade ought to have more headroom than a Scion xB or VW New Beetle.  They don't. Owning several old school land yachts: My 65 and 72 Fleetwoods are light years better,  my 57 and 8o's Eldorado, and 76 Fleetwood only slightly more so.

Admittedly, it does depend on how one is built, but with a 39' inseam and 39' sleeve length, I get frustrated as big cars get smaller.

Glenn

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am with you Glenn.

Cars are designed for the "Average-sized" person.   And that is usually the average size of the person living in the country of origin.

I found that the only way to get a car that really fitted me was to build my own, which is one reason I got into Hot Rodding.

These older cars were designed to be tall enough to allow the driver/occupants to be able to wear their hats.   Now, one has to be reasonably bald to miss the headlining.

This is another reason I don't like Sun Roofs.   They take up too much headroom.   My '72 Eldo Coupe with sun roof, I had to lower the seat right down, and then I had hair.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on January 15, 2019, 02:32:46 PM
With Ford/Lincoln dropping out of the sedan market, maybe Cadillac will do well here with the CT6.
While sedans like Fusion and Taurus are on their way out, has Ford officially pulled the plug on the Continental and MKZ??

I think it would take more than Continental disappearing, if that were to happen, for the CT6 to "do well" here given the overall state of the large sedan market.   How well the CT6 does going forward will also depend on how well the upcoming CT5 does as essentially a replacement for CTS and XTS.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: GBrown #8092 on January 15, 2019, 07:04:53 PM
Big Apple Caddy:  You haven't met me, but I'm admittedly a bit taller than most and find headroom to be lacking in most cars, even more so in SUV's.

But a "Full" sized Cadillac ought to have more head room than a Hyundai Sonata. Not to mention an Escalade ought to have more headroom than a Scion xB or VW New Beetle.  They don't. Owning several old school land yachts: My 65 and 72 Fleetwoods are light years better,  my 57 and 8o's Eldorado, and 76 Fleetwood only slightly more so.

Admittedly, it does depend on how one is built, but with a 39' inseam and 39' sleeve length, I get frustrated as big cars get smaller.

Glenn

I think it's fine for Cadillac to be content with the CT6 having more headroom than large sedans from competitive brands like Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Lincoln, etc.  In decades past, you could even find compact economy cars having more front headroom than "land yacht" Cadillacs.

Scot Minesinger

The CT6 is about 1,000lbs less weight than comperable MB S or BMW 7 series sedans.  Has anyone seen the crash protection ratings of a CT6 vs their 1,000 lb heavier competitors? 

Structural rigidity aside, the distance that a human body in motion at high speed comes to a stop is the critical life saving factor (long crumple zone really saves lives).  hence high weight vehicles tend to really stretch out that distance in a crash against another vehicle due to momentum.  If you are strapped into a 1,000 indestructible sphere (or smart car?) traveling at 50mph and collide with a 6,000lb Suburban traveling at 50 mph, you will die because the sphere will slow down too fast as the arteries will detach from your heart.  Even though the Suburban would be damaged beyond repair, the people inside would survive.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty