News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

60 CDV horn problem

Started by Michael Petti, January 16, 2019, 12:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Petti

Hoping some one has some info on this. My horns blow when I move the steering wheel. I have looked at other threads and have pictures of the steering column and the brass band under the neutral switch. I have pulled the horn ring per the manual, except I can not get the wires out of the center post. Is it just a plug and I have to pull hard on it? There is bare wire where the wires go into the column. A picture attached. Is that correct, or could it be the cause of my problem? I don't think bare wires are right. I'm trying to avoid puling the column.

1959Fleetwood

Hello Michael,
Well, at least you know that your horns are working... The center plug with the 2 wires can be pulled out of the socket altough i have to admid that it can be difficult to get it loose, sometimes you have to pull hard. Also you can use  WD40 for the contact  and let it sit for a couple of hours, maybe it will come off more easy. There should be no bare wires because the centerwire from the lower horn contact and the 2 wires that go to the horn bar is a constant 12 volt. Your entire steering column is the negative side, so when you press on your horn bar you will make a cirquit witch causes current to flow and your horns work. Keep in mind that a lot of horn contact troubles are traceble to the Yellow copper contact sleeve on the steering shaft, due to age the thin wall sleeve has a tendency to split witch can cause unwanted horn contact when steering around the corner. In that case you have to dismantel the whole steering column to replace the sleeve witch are new made and sold thru Cadillac parts vendors.

Happy motoring
Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331 
Matern Harmsel
CLC # 15331

1941 Cadillac series 6227D
1953 Cadillac series 6237
1959 Cadillac series 6029
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino

Michael Petti

Thanks for the info. Now that I know its a plug I have the confidence to pull hard. I also did  not know new brass rings were available. I'll try OPGI and Caddy Daddy.