News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 Series 63 "How original is original"

Started by 48firetruck, January 21, 2019, 12:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48firetruck

Just curious. I know my car is rare and all original. The only thing so far that appears to be replaced are the belts and tires (which are incorrect), but as you would expect on a 77 year old car, things are in need of maintenance. Currently the exhaust system and lower radiator hose look like they could fail any second, the fuel tank sending unit needs replaced, the wheels could use a coat of paint and the hubcaps chrome has seen better days. How much can be done to a car and still call it "original"? If you use OEM type reproduction parts only does that make a difference? What about original color repaint on the wheels when I buy the proper tires?
I'm not interested in restoring this car at all, but I do want to drive it and have it be as reliable as it was 77 years ago.
Thoughts?

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

You can expect at least five opinions for every three respondents to a question like this. I would say that everything pertaining to safety should be repaired/replaced/serviced with OEM or OEM like aftermarket parts. Things like tires, fuel, cooling and brake hoses, brake lines, exhaust, light bulbs, plugs, wires, points, and filters need to be up to safe and dependable vehicle use standards. One could argue that painting the rims the original color is a preservation method for the rims if not the finish. I would chrome plate the hub caps, if indeed they are steel and not stainless steel, and use the original medallions. Before doing any other cosmetic restoration I would detail all visible surfaces. If you are not familiar with professional techniques and products have it done for the first time and maintain it yourself thereafter. This will show you the car’s best condition helping to determine what you may want to do. Overall, I would perform “sympathetic work” only to maintain as much originality as possible. 

Oh, and every time I look at your car I have a bad case of envy......
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I would polish the wheel covers as best I could and leave them alone. You want to be able to tell folks that admire your car that the condition of the car now is how it's aged "all by itself." So what if you have some chips on the wheels? 90% of all the "old cars" in the world have to have some restoration done on them. Your's requires very little. As has been said, replace the safety items and make it run well. Then, simply enjoy it.
After you join our Club and get your Directory, contact Al Lindemann in NY. He has a 1941 convertible I have judged twice in our Past President's Preservation Class. It's getting a little ragged here and there. But he's resisted all efforts to spruce it up.

And he's polished the original black paint on his 1940 Series 75 convertible until you'd think it'd been re-done.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville