News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

HT4100 in a Firebird?

Started by TJ Hopland, January 23, 2019, 12:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I recently met a Pontiac Firebird enthusiast and when I said I was into Cadillac's he mentioned that apparently the HT4100 was considered for the 'new' 82 Firebirds.   82 was the 'Knight Rider' generation.  The previous one was the 'Smokey and the Bandit' ones.   

He said they wanted something to stand out from the Camaro and cooperate shut down the Pontiac V8 production in 81.  He said there were a couple test cars built but none survived and obviously it never happened.  I asked if he knew why and he said word was it just didn't 'fit'.   Price vs performance was the issue.  Performance was better than the 4clinder or V6 options but not as good as the 5.0 4bbl V8 which was much less expensive.  They didn't think Firebird buyers would pay more for less performance. 

Seems plausible to me.  I know historically Pontiac did always try to keep an edge over Chev on those cars so it would make sense they were looking for something different.  Anyone else ever hear that?  That would have been the first time a Cadillac motor went into another car?   Fist time that did happen was the Olds Aurora? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason