News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 coupe colors - engine bay, etc.

Started by CadillacRob, January 23, 2019, 09:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted last.  I finally bought paint for my 56 and I'm gearing up for the long road of body work and paint here at home.  Engine and trans is out and rebuilt.

My paint shop didn't have the color I was looking for, and when I cross referenced the code of the color I like (cape ivory) it looked way too white.  So I custom mixed a color to make that pale yellow.

Now, I know the engine bay is body colored.  I'm assuming the inside of the hood is black with a pad on top.

Looking inside the engine bay at the front of the wheel wells, they have a lower bolted on panel that would be behind the front bumper.  Is that black or body color?  (I can provide a pic of the area I'm referring to if necessary).

Outside the car, are the inner wheel wells body color or black?

Also, I doubt I could pull it off, but is the undercarriage body color or black?  My understanding is they had an undercoating from the factory and were black, but I saw a frame off 59 for sale and noticed the undercarriage was body color.  Looked amazing but I'm not sure that's factory.

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Roger Zimmermann

The front wheelhouses are body color. It is my understanding that the underbody was the red/brown primer. There was probably some outside paint overspray, but not much.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Kielar

You might what to try posting this on the Mid-Century Cadillac Forum. There is a ton of knowledge there for 54-56 Cadillacs.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

RobertM

The authenticity manuals that the CLC produces are a huge help.  Most of these type of questions are answered in the manual.
https://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/store/ViewProduct.aspx?id=7782525
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA