News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Aluminized vs Stainless exhaust

Started by gkhashem, January 24, 2019, 01:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

I am old enough to remember an exhaust lasting 2-3 years in our cold wet climate. My father needed new mufflers often. But more recently my cars exhaust will last longer 5-7 years maybe.

So on a car that I drive less than 500-1000 miles a year and always warm up completely, or never take a short trip. Is a stainless steel exhaust overkill?

I could see an aluminized one lasting for years and less money spent.

Am I wrong in my thoughts on this?

Also keep in mind I have original cars not show cars that need to be all nice and shiny even underneath.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Dan LeBlanc

I can't remember having to replace an exhaust component on a vehicle with factory exhaust on any of my drivers.  I did have a Mustang and an F350 that had aftermarket stuff on them when I bought them that gave a couple headaches and needed components replaced.

If you're driving the old stuff long enough to dry out the exhaust system, aluminized should be fine.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

johnregrus

I Think they also sound different with the aluminized muffler system sounding best.
The stainless system sounds with a "tinging" sound that is not original to the cars sound when they were new.
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Scot Minesinger

I have an aluminized exhaust on my 1970 Cadillac installed in 2005.  It still looks new after 40k miles.  The key is that I never start it to move it 6' (always warm engine up fully or I do not start, which annoys non-car people).  It is generally driven in nice weather.  It is stored inside.

The stainless exhaust can be difficult to seal.  I had a stainless exhaust on my 1995 Fleetwood as original equipment and it failed after 200k miles and 7 years.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I agree with the previous posted comments regarding
stainless systems.

Years ago, I purchased a complete stainless system
for my '55 Eldorado.  The mufflers, resonators and
pipes were all stainless.  The system sounded awful.
It was loud and tinny sounding.  Seller (from Florida)
said it would "carbon up" after a few hundred miles
and be fine.  It didn't.

Long story short, I tore it off and replaced it with
an aluminized system.  It was quiet as the originals
were and has been on the car for 15 years.

My recommendation - go with aluminized.  It's cheaper
than stainless as a bonus.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

gkhashem

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on January 24, 2019, 01:58:53 PM
I can't remember having to replace an exhaust component on a vehicle with factory exhaust on any of my drivers.  I did have a Mustang and an F350 that had aftermarket stuff on them when I bought them that gave a couple headaches and needed components replaced.

If you're driving the old stuff long enough to dry out the exhaust system, aluminized should be fine.

Dan your not old enough to remember they rusted out quick. My father used to drive 8 miles to work but that was not enough time to dry them out especially in the winter. So they did not last long.

Cars I have bought in the last 30 years last a lot longer.

With that said you guys have confirmed what I have been thinking. Aluminized should last me for my lifetime for the amount of driving I am going to do.  In fact, all of my cars from 1984 on all have their original exhausts on them from what I can tell. They range from 28,000 miles to 44,000 miles.

I am asking for some of my older cars that may need a system soon.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

60eldo

Im gonna need one soon. Do you guys recomend resinators or not, I dont even know what they do. Whos the best supplier in your opinion for a 60 deville exhaust..
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

I install Stainless Steel exhaust systems on all my cars that I intend keeping.

Having said that, my systems are custom-made out of good quality stainless, and no short-cuts, and never had a problem.

I remember my Father was constantly having to replace resonators and tail pipes on his 420G Jaguar, and we "bit the bullet" after I advised him to go for Stainless, and even down to the engine pipes, which at the time, weren't being done in Stainless.

It cots double the price, but after the third year, of no parts replacement, he was in front.   Had the car another 10 years, so he was well in front.   Plus, come time to sell the car, the fact that it had a Stainless System, the buyer was willing to pay a good price for the car.

The secret with Stainless is to not use the thin wall stainless.   Mine is as thick, if not thicker than the normal steel units.

As for noise, the thin-wall stuff that wrinkles on bending will always be noisy.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Bruce is right.  Just because it is stainless does not mean it will not attenuate.  Look at the aluminized, it is 1/16" thick.  Get same thickness in stainless and there will be no issues with noise.  That said it is a much harder metal and so gaskets and welding are probably best to get a good seal.

Back in the 1970's exhaust systems in the north did not last long 4 years or so.  On vehicles I have owned since the 1980's have all lasted a super long time, have maybe replaced  one on each car or not every 200k miles.

For collector cars it is your choice, but aluminized has worked well for me.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

Your situation will require your decision.  Aluminized will last longer,
it certainly is not "lifetime".  There are a couple of classes of Stainless
Steel, basically 300 (304 non magnetic) and 400 (409 partially
magnetic).  The 400 can be bent up like steel, might last the life
of the vehicle for some.  The 300 series might have a bit of a tinny
ring which you need to listen for to notice on my cars.  It can only
be mandrel bent, I buy pre bent sections and SS MIG them into
a system.  Its real lifetime. 

One of my first 304 systems was on my (much driven) 79 Toro,
then got moved to my 79 Eldo in 1996.  When I put a 403 engine
I built a 3 inch 304 Eldo system, and SOLD the first system to
another 79 Toro owner, see picture.  That was a decade ago, he
reports being very happy with it.  Since the first had a monolithic
converter and was 2.5 inch it did improve performance.  Because
it had the largest free flowing 304 muffler AND resonator
included, you didn't hear it unless you opened all 4 barrels. 

Lifetime SS mufflers that flow as well as a pipe are available.  If
you put on BIG ones, you gain quiet and performance.  My cars
are not noisy, but you can hear the exhaust (and the carb) when
pushed.  I NEVER need to replace pipes/mufflers, hangers still
need service.  Bruce (drives a car for 4 decades) Roe

Daddio

I've had an aluminized system on mine for over 20 years. The only rust-out issue was with the resonators, they only lasted a couple years. 
So after the second replacement, I removed the outer 'can' from a couple new resonators and replaced the internal perforated pipes with solid ones. They've now lasted 15 years.
I drive to shows / cruises every week or so, but never far enough to get the entire exhaust system up to temp. The mufflers get there .. they've never been replaced .., but the resonators are 20' away from the engine and never warm up enough.
I also considered SST resonators, but decided to try this first due to cost and metal compatibility.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Bob Kielar

I replaced my exhaust on my 55 Fleetwood last winter with aluminized and I really like the sound. I drilled 1/8 inch holes in the bottom of the resonators to avoid rusting I can’t believe the amount of water that comes out of them. There was a service bulletin from Cadillac to do this and also the mufflers but I don’t have the guts to do the mufflers. I purchased my exhaust from Waldrons everything fit perfectly great company to deal with but you have to allow about a eight week lead time.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

fishnjim

Re; sealing SS.   Preferably needs to be welded, not U-clamped.   If you use clamps get the news "cuff" type that conform and shrink as they tighten.   I still prefer SS on diesel.   
If you want a pretty exhaust to go over the "auction chassis cam" then polished SS.   
The whole system should be the same material regardless.   eg: Don't put SS mufflers on a carbon system thinking they'll last longer or vice versa cause it's cheaper.
Like any decision, the financial aspects need pencil to paper.  Cost them out and calculate the best option.   That way you can monitor your investment and see if assumptions are holding true for next time.
I concur with the originator, that "back in the day" exhaust lasted about as long as the bias tires.   Those things have >5 decades of engineering behind them now.   Corrosion science has made progress and fuels have changed quite a bit, no lead or sulfur(SOx), etc. and injection and better temperature control has controlled NOx.   So SS is not as "needed" as it once was for service life.   You can also tune your carbed vehicle with exhaust gas analysis to make sure it's optimum.
As far as resonators, or a second "muffler" they are "supposed" to take out the last of the "noise" before exit.   Some like the deeper mellow tone and quieter sound.  It adds restriction and back pressure.   It's just making up for the poor acoustic issues from the first one.   The aftermarket "tunes" exhaust notes now.   So I'm not even sure these are needed today.  I'm not sure one can buy an original to spec muffler now?   The size maybe the same but they probably are different inside.   They used to be cranked out cheap because they didn't last.   That's one I haven't investigated and why would we want that?

cadillacmike68

I had a couple SS manifolds on a 1992 LeSabre go bad after about 10 yrs, but those were 1st gen GM products from the 90s so I'm no sure if initial bad design was at fault or not. That same car had a polymer (probably nylon) heater hose fitting into the block break off as well, with the dealer replacement being steel, so who knows?

My 1995 Fleetwood went 200,000 miles and 13 years with no exhaust issues. The 1996, now at 23 years old is still fine with about 110,000 miles on it. Both are factory SS exhaust systems.

Now, the 1968 had a new exhaust put on in 2005. It was stainless, but for several years it was just moved around the body shop and sure enough it rusted out the u-pipe over the axle at the end where it meets the "resonators". I put that in quotes because these are about 1/8 the size of OE resonators. I had both mufflers and resonators replaced and the u-pipes were saved by just cutting off where the rust was. It now only gets driven until it warms up, which is no time here in FL.

The pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers (its a full dual system now) are all still good from the 2005 installation, so it should be fine for a long time.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

gkhashem

I was asking since I just want the system to last. In my childhood, cars from the 1970s and back had exhaust systems that did not last here in NH.

The winters were extremely hard on them I think. Not warming up a car long enough so as to eliminate the water inside the system was probably the biggest culprit along with the inferior materials they were made out of.

More recent cars, about 35 years or newer, seem to have held up better. But that may be because most of my drives in the morning are 30 minutes or more.

That being said I always drive my old cars at least until they warm up. Considering the cars are now going 400-800 miles a year an aluminized system should last me many years or most likely my lifetime.

So with that being said I am going to go with an aluminized system. I see no need to spend any extra money. The only reason for me to do SS is I would rather spend $250-300 more if that meant I would never have to do it again, but this does not seem to be the case.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Cadillac Jack 82

I really enjoy this thread as I need to redo the entire exhaust system on my 1957 since one of the mufflers detonated while I was having vapor lock issues this past October.  Looks like I'll stick with Waldrons and get the standard as opposed to stainless exhaust system.  I want my 57 sounding as quiet as my 55.  Right now it sounds horrible since its pretty much straight exhaust on one side.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

rwchatham CLC 21892

Question for the guys with the aluminzed systems . Does the finish on the system look like bare metal or more of a painted look ? Also does the finish stay looking fresh over the years or does it tend to get surface rust on it ?
R. Waligora

bcroe

I can't be worrying about being warmed up on short trips.  Originally
stock pipes were a lot cheaper than making a 304 SS.  But lately the
stock prices have much increase, and often super thin material besides. 

First motivation here is reduce car maintenance to the minimum possible,
so there is a lot of non corroding stuff in my plumbing.  The 304 SS may
cost me twice as much initially, but I figure it pays for itself the first
time I DO NOT need to replace it.   And saves me a lot of bother. 
Bruce Roe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: rwchatham CLC 21892 on January 25, 2019, 12:12:13 PM
Question for the guys with the aluminzed systems . Does the finish on the system look like bare metal or more of a painted look ? Also does the finish stay looking fresh over the years or does it tend to get surface rust on it ?

It will get surface rust. and if you run it in the rain, it will get it faster and more severe.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

JoeKarasinski

The aluminized system on my Chevelle I got from Napa in 2000 still like new in 2018. Dad put ss on his 60 in the late nineties early 2000s. To me it sounded tinny. I don't see any reason to spend the extra money on ss since my cars are stored indoors where it's kept warm and dry. And they don't see alot of miles. If I had an older daily driver I would use ss.