News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Any Recommendations for Microfiber Towels?

Started by Bentley, January 25, 2019, 12:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bentley

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand of good, high-quality microfiber towels for washing and waxing? Thanks.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Any microfiber towels commonly available at your local auto parts store will be fine.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

Microfiber seems to be one of those buzz word things that I assume originally meant something specific and special but now sort of gets applied to just about everything. 

And is the concept supposed to be that the 'fibers' are so small they are more efficient at trapping dust?   Like each spec of dust has its own little void rather than a big void that could hold several specs?  And the big void they could easily fall out again?

And the smaller fibers are less likely to scratch what ever it is you are cleaning? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bentley

QuoteAnd the smaller fibers are less likely to scratch what ever it is you are cleaning?

That's why I asked because I wasn't sure if there was a difference between brands. But, I'm going to take Eric's word for it as he has that beautiful black finish on his '77. Plus, the guy at Pep Boys said the same thing Eric did.

Thanks for your help.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

rajeevx7

One of the least obsessive compulsive things I do... wait till Harbour Freight has the free coupon for these. Then, I toss the old ones and replace with my new free pack. No matter what brand you choose, tear the labels off so you don’t inadvertently scratch your finish.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There are a number of different microfiber towels on
the market and they range in price and quality.  They
are definitely not "all the same".

Microfiber towels are rated for plushness and fiber count
with a number called a "GSM" rating.  That's grams per
square meter.  A top quality microfiber towel (like
Meguiars) has a GSM of 300.  A cheap towel will be
around 100.  The cheap guys most times do not publish
a number.

The higher the GSM, the more dirt your towel can absorb
and the less effort that's required by the user.

See the attached for more info:
https://www.carbibles.com/best-microfiber-towel-review/

I use Meguiars.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

signart

I buy a big bundle of them at Sam's club. I launder them before use, they get softer & more absorbent with each wash.
Art D. Woody

David Greenburg

I too have read that there’re differences in quality along the lines Mike describes.  In addition, there is the question of the nap, or “fluffiness” of the towels. The ones I use  for taking wax off lacquer paint are much fluffier than the ones I use for cleaning polish off the bumpers.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Classic

Gene Menne
CLC #474

chrisntam

Only on this forum would we debate the merits of micro-fiber towels.

;D

I wish that was my only problem.

;)

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: chrisntam on January 26, 2019, 11:10:16 AM
Only on this forum would be debate the merits of micro-fiber towels.

;D

I wish that was my only problem.

;)

If you think that's bad, you should see what gets debated on audiophile forums... ::)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I just bought 'microfiber' face cloths yesterday, at the Dollar Store, 4 for a buck, got 2 packages.
But, these will be used in-between the strap and the white wall on The Ark's tires when its shipped
Monday to upholstery. Last time I noticed the dirty straps left marks on the white wall that were hard
to remove.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

David Greenburg

This is nothing in terms of obsessive. Go check out some detailing forums.   You think you know the best towels, wax or wash soap?  Debates go on for months.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

harry s

Just check out the Griot catalog. There is a special microfiber towel for each product along with exclusive detergent for washing them.       Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

76eldo

For drying your car there are a few good tricks that I use.  Some Cadillacs have really large flat hoods and trunks and roofs.

I use a California water blade to squeegee those flat surfaces plus the glass and sides.
There is something called an “Absorber” that is a synthetic chamois and it comes in a tube and is already damp when you get it. This thing sucks up water like I have never seen.

As far as removing applied wax, remember to use a wax that allows you to apply a thin coat. When it dries most micro fiber towels will remove it quickly and won’t be as abrasive as a terry cloth towel but you may need up to 8 of them to remove wax when doing a whole car. Once the wax gets into the fibers it clogs them and then you start smearing up the car with a waxy cloth.

The ones from Harbor Freight are a low quality. I have gotten some really nice big ones at car shows. If you pick up the towel you can feel a big difference in weight and size.

Good Luck
Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv