News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 Cadillac Erueka / Miller Meteor project

Started by Mjc85, January 30, 2019, 02:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mjc85

Hello to this forum,

I have a few questions and I’m looking for some advice. I bought a 59 Eureka hearse recently, a year ago. It was a Ecto-1 project where the metal on the body was cut to make way for windows like that car. I was hoping to weld In new metal and bring this car back from the damage that was done to it. But it looks like that’s not really possible and now I’m looking at the option of converting this car into a Miller Meteor. That being said I know how everyone feels about these kind of project and fully expect that just mentioning it will isolate me from anyone on this board. To convert this car and make a nice car out of it I would need Miller doors and the trim and glass for the rear windows. I would like to buy these items for my build and sell the Eureka doors and trim that I cannot use. Hoping they go to someone who can use them for their project. I don’t know fair prices on the parts, but would rely upon the members of this group.
Can anyone help me with this and does anyone need Eureka parts?

Thanks

Eldovert

Hi Mike,
Do you have pictures to help us make a decision?
There is a big difference between Eureka/MM/Superior as far as body..very little interchange.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Mjc85

Thanks for considering this, here are some pictures.
I’ve rebuilt the engine, currently replacing the brakes and having the seat rebuilt. This car came to me in really bad shape, but I’m trying to get back on the road.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Years ago, I owned several 1970 Cadillac Superior and Miller Meteor hearses. From the dash on back, except possibly for the rear quarter panels, nothing was interchangeable between the different coach makers. They were made by different makers and styled differently for different cars.

Unless you come up with a complete body to transfer onto your chassis (unlikely), this might be a good time to cut your losses. There is enough demand for 1959 parts that you might be able to recoup a few dollars.

ozcad

I would post pictures of your car on a forum such as metalmeet or allmetalshaping, and see if you can find someone near to you who is willing to help with reversing the butchery.

Mjc85

Thanks for the input, I love the car and want to finish it. So I’ll have to alter the body to accept the Miller doors and glass. I can do this as I have a background in fabrication, but I would like to get the doors and trim needed to do this. Does anyone have and are willing to sell me the parts I need? Also would anyone be interested in the doors from this car. As I understand it Eureka body panels are hard to find.

Mjc85

I have about 8000 into the car in repair work already and it will be solid once I finish it.

I do have a question about PVC. I know this really didn’t exist in 59. But my car has two hoses coming off the intake manifold that meet to a, looks like vintage PVC valve, that goes into the valve cover. This looks like it was added to help a poorly maintained engine. Can I plug all the holes and just use the pipe coming from the valley cover?

Eldovert

Quote from: Mjc85 on January 30, 2019, 05:40:22 PM
I have about 8000 into the car in repair work already and it will be solid once I finish it.

I do have a question about PVC. I know this really didn’t exist in 59. But my car has two hoses coming off the intake manifold that meet to a, looks like vintage PVC valve, that goes into the valve cover. This looks like it was added to help a poorly maintained engine. Can I plug all the holes and just use the pipe coming from the valley cover?
Pretty sure the engine was designed to breath in through the oil breather cap(where you add oil) and vent out of the tube that goes from the valley cover,down the back of the engine. So yes,plug the extra openings.
People did some weird stuff to vent blowby.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Mjc85

Thanks Eldovert- that’s kinda what I thought.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Eldovert,

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

D.Smith

Quote from: Mjc85 on January 30, 2019, 02:50:20 PM
Hello to this forum,

I have a few questions and I’m looking for some advice. I bought a 59 Eureka hearse recently, a year ago. It was a Ecto-1 project where the metal on the body was cut to make way for windows like that car. I was hoping to weld In new metal and bring this car back from the damage that was done to it. But it looks like that’s not really possible and now I’m looking at the option of converting this car into a Miller Meteor. That being said I know how everyone feels about these kind of project and fully expect that just mentioning it will isolate me from anyone on this board. To convert this car and make a nice car out of it I would need Miller doors and the trim and glass for the rear windows. I would like to buy these items for my build and sell the Eureka doors and trim that I cannot use. Hoping they go to someone who can use them for their project. I don’t know fair prices on the parts, but would rely upon the members of this group.
Can anyone help me with this and does anyone need Eureka parts?

Thanks

#1.   It will be less work to restore it as a Eureka.    Each coachbuilder had their own bodies from the windshield back.   So it isn't just a matter of swapping the doors to make it a Miller-Meteor.

#2.   Eurekas are far more rare.   A higher end coach too than a Miller-Meteor.

#3.    The world does NOT need another Ghostbusters clone.