News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Resto Mod Restoration

Started by Forever69Knight, January 30, 2019, 07:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever69Knight

Hello,
Another newbie here.
I have had my Caddy being restored for years :-\
I have come upon a problem as we approach the interior.
My restoration shop says my 2000-2005 DeVille seats will not fit the car?
Even with head rests removed  they say the bottom seat sits to high?
Anyone out there that can advise me or my shop?
I never dreamed the seats I picked would not fit?
UGH
HELP please

Scot Minesinger

Pictures, dimensions, and anything else will help us advise you.  By what you wrote it does not seem right.  The trend in newer cars is that they are higher and shorter than older cars.  The idea that the headrests hit the ceiling of a 1960 Cadillac does not seem right though. 

Have you visited the shop, mabey they can modify the seat brackets?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like the Restoration Shop simply doesn't want to tackle the task.

I find that the Cadillac seats could be made to fit, and a simple, but could be complicated, modification of the seat base and actuating mechanism to lower the seat would be possible.

But, if the Cadillac seats have inbuilt seat belts, then there would be major re-designing and engineering certification to make it safe.

The main problem I see is that there will be a wide gap between the two seats, necessitating a console.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

INTMD8

Not always so simple, especially when modifying a seat with built in 3 point belts.

59 Floor pan where the seat mounts is barely lower than the rocker sills.  Newer unibody cars drop the floor much lower so not really surprised.

Some photos of the undersides of the seats would help.

MaR

To add to this with a similar swap on a totally different car: I put a 2004 Lincoln LS seat in 1990 Ford Taurus SHO and even in that car, there was just barely enough room to mount it. The LS seat also would not go down as far as the stock seat making headroom tight.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Get on Facebook....
John Abends page "The 1965-1970 Cadillac Collective" and the "Cadillac Cars And Parts For Sale" have a ton of hot/resto modders on them, they might be able to help too. John Abend is phenomenal for parts.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all