News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Well ...I was warned!

Started by 48firetruck, February 02, 2019, 08:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48firetruck

I asked an oil question a while back about my unfiltered 1942 engine and was told there could be up to an inch of sludge in the oil pan. That person was dead on as there was exactly an inch of sludge in my pan. It's nasty black mud that won't wash off. Couldn't believe it was that bad with only 31,000 miles. Surprisingly, aside from the pan the engine internals look pretty clean.

Caddyholic

I had the same stuff in my 62. That gray stuff is lead from the gas I think.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Bobby B

You're a Little Late to the Party  >:D........
                                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Glen

I remember scraping that sludge out of the oil pan.  That was my first job helping dad with the cars.  I don’t see that so much in modern engines, I think it is caused by the oils back in the day.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

I had the same thing in the sump of my '55 Buick that had only travelled 48,000 miles.

The engine was pulled down because of a rattling, which to a Buick expert was a cracked piston.   Turned out that the skirt of one piston was missing, and another cracked, but there was nothing seen in the bottom of the pan when it was removed.

When the pan was cleaned, in the 3/4" deep sludge was the remains of the piston skirt.

At least the sump in my '72 Eldo was perfectly clean when I removed it to replace the timing gear, even though all the cam gear teeth were missing their nylon teeth coverings.

All these parts were inside the oil filter pickup screen.   Luckily, none went any further.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harry s

I bought a '47 4 dr a number of years ago and first order of business was to change fluids. The oil level & pressure were good and the engine warm. I removed the drain plug and nothing came out. After sticking a screwdriver into the drain hole a small stream of oil started to drain. It took a lot of effort to get the pan cleaned out. As Bobby B says, welcome to the party.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

A Billion years ago as a kid hanging around my local garage they "let" me work on cars.  Cleaning oil pans was one of the normal maintenance items done on most all pre-mid 50's cars.  Add so magic elixir to the oil, run the car for a few minutes and then drop and clean the pan. That was normal. You can see why.  Oils were very much different back then.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

James Landi

Without a PVC device to pull the  acid rain clouds and noxious blow by out of the "internals," the condensation of this toxic mixture simply creates sludge.  New engines not only have pvc devices and near closed crankcases, but they also run much hotter, thus burning of the condensation.  For those who run their engines at idle during the winter months, the potential to create serious problems is amplified.  James

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yep. Had the same in the 55. Amazing the drain plug even worked.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Dave Shepherd

Good use for a borescope, pull the drain plug and look inside the pan.

Bootz2626

Nice work. I think i will jave to do the same!

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: James Landi on February 03, 2019, 03:50:00 PM
.....For those who run their engines at idle during the Winter months, the potential to create serious problems is amplified.  James

I am glad to read this comment here, and firmly believe it to be absolutely correct.   I never exercise my car's engines in the Winter.. by starting 'em and letting 'em idle for a while.   Such running never gets the engines up to proper operating temperatures, resulting in increasing condensation in the crankcase.   I say, "No... wait until Spring!"

Dave Shepherd

Bobby B

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on February 12, 2019, 04:03:20 PM
Seconded. :)

Yes, Agreed....No point in starting a classic vehicle if you're not going to drive it. I call it "Hibernation".........
                                                                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Lexi

Yepper, hibernation is the way to go. Clay/Lexi