News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is NAPA overpriced?

Started by kevinanderson, February 03, 2019, 06:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinanderson

I picked up a thermostat for my '91 SDV at the local jobber that I've gone to since i was 16. My father before me. Anyway I was asked if I wanted the better of two offered plus the O-ring. I figured I'd spring for the better. I figured it would be 10 or 11 bux  plus the O-ring. When he rung it up and told me the total, I questioned the him. That was the "right" price with my discount. The total was $28.00 with tax. The stat supposedly  retailed for 42 dollars. Am I showing my age or what? Rockauto wanted about 10 dollars for theirs.  I purchased a pair of their best rotors for my  Dodge  Ram and I threw them in the scrap pile at 2k miles they became so warped.  I turned the originals with 225k miles and havent any problems. Cripes. Thanks for listening.
Kevin

35-709

Remember, Rock Auto has little overhead compared to the many retail outlets, delivery vehicles and counter personnel your local NAPA, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts etc., are saddled with.  As to the rotors, remember too that most everything we have to deal with today is made in China.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bobby B

If I can get the same quality/brand parts from Advance Auto via "in-store pickup" as RockAuto, it's sometimes cheaper. They offer you an immediate 20% off for shopping on-line, you're picking up so there's no shipping, and RockAuto charges tax now too. I've been using RockAuto for as long as they've been around, but their shipping has gotten a little out of control. If you go to the Advance website and set up an account, put the stuff in your cart and wait a little (Hint) and it will usually send your E-mail a 25% coupon instead of the 20% for shopping on-line. It knows you're shopping and wants you to take the bait. Plus, if you sign up, you get "Speed Perks" rewards of $20.00 every time you spend "X" amount of Money. They do sell junk there also with the name brands, so compare apples to apples and do your Homework.....
                                                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

David Greenburg

In my experience, NAPA prices do tend to be high.  They do have. 5% AAA discount, and at least in my neighborhood are the only old school full service parts places.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cape Cod Fleetwood

NAPA, Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone, RockAuto, Delco... they're all made in China.
Batteries are where you have 'shop' the original US manufacturer, MHO.
NAPA, AAP, Autozone have 10% veterans discounts though.
The Ark proudly supports all of the above, its all about who had what part WHEN I needed it.
YMMV

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Bobby B

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on February 03, 2019, 11:38:10 PM
NAPA, Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone, RockAuto, Delco... they're all made in China.

Unless you have a good source for Original or N.O.S. parts, unfortunately this is what we're up against today. I'll take used sheet metal in workable condition anyday over aftermarket, but as far as other parts go, used is not always better. Depends on what type of part. It's a shame and it makes it a little difficult to trust some of the stuff out there as far as dependability, longevity, and safety......
                                                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

64\/54Cadillacking

I used to work for Napa and there prices do tend to be higher than most other auto parts stores.

For instance their belts and hoses are made by Gates, same company that makes belts and hoses for O’Reillys and Carquest yet Napa will be a little higher in price.

Napa’s Stats and Fuel caps used to be made by Stant, which we all know is probably the best quality aftermarket thermostat and fuel cap maker around as their parts are still made in the U.S. or Mexico and are of higher quality compared to Motorad which Napa now sells under their house brand. You can still find an old Stant Napa boxed stat and fuel caps sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but it’s most likely old because all the newer stuff is reboxed Motorad.

Motorad products are garbage and feel cheaply made compared to a Stant cap and stat.

Napa is definitely not what they used to be. They do make high quality connectors and battery cables but you need to buy the Pro Series line for that.

I do like how they use U.S.A made East Penn batteries instead of Mexican made Johnson Controls batteries. At least out here all the newer Napa batteries are East Penn Dekka made.

Unfortunately every auto parts store relies on their vendors for parts. Instead of blaming the parts stores for carrying cheaply made parts, we should be blaming the vendors, the actual individual parts companies themselves for producing low quality products. What’s really bad is most of AC Delco spark plugs are made in China, they went from being all made in the U.S. to Mexico and now China! Talk about a downgrade. Yet the prices are the same, but quality most likely went down.

This is why most shops never order AC Delco plugs, or even Autolites and Champion plugs, is because their quality isn’t what it used to be. Guess which plugs sold the most? NGK’s and Denso hands down sold the most to shops. The finish and quality look way better on a NGK and Denso plug than any other brand. Also there plugs are still made in either the U.S. or Japan where quality control is top notch.

All the American branded parts companies have pretty much sold out to China, Mexico, India and now even Thailand. They’re very few high quality parts companies these days, Standard Motor products is one. And the ones being the worst of the bunch is Monroe shocks/struts which are crap and don’t last long at all, while KYB shocks and struts are awesome and much higher quality.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Scot Minesinger

Rockauto is my go to for most car parts because you get to choose the level of quality for the part you are buying.  The local NAPA and other auto parts stores generally carry just one part choice along the very cheap end of the spectrum.  BTW Rockauto is often a third to half the price.  Bought a motor mount on Rockauto for my girl friend's Toyota and it was like $11, and at the local parts store they wanted over $60!  I only use the local parts stores for emergency - got to have the part right now, and oil.  For old Cadillacs of the 1960's and 1970's which is what I mainly work on mainly use Rockauto, and the National Cadillac specialty stores.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

walt chomosh #23510

Kevin,
  It's 2019....walt...tulsa,ok

Maynard Krebs

In response to this thread's discussion of where parts come from these days, it was my impression that, at least at one time, the brand of brake rotor, "Centric", were made in Canada.   Is this still the case?

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on February 11, 2019, 09:08:02 PM
In response to this thread's discussion of where parts come from these days, it was my impression that, at least at one time, the brand of brake rotor, "Centric", were made in Canada.   Is this still the case?

Nope. All the Centric rotors are made in China, pretty much all brake rotors are made in China nowadays. Only high end rotors like Brembo or Mercedes and BMW branded type rotors are either made in Japan or Germany.

Bosch rotors for instance are very nice higher quality type rotors, much better than what’s mostly out there in the aftermarket, but there rotors are also made in China, but you’d never know it looking and picking them up feeling them in your hands.

Napa’s higher end rotors are real nice too, just stay away from the lower end lines.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

kevinanderson

These were their best rotor.
Kevin

TJ Hopland

Brake parts is an interesting one.   For fairly common applications I have looked both online and at local stores and generally don't find a huge differences in prices and that is before shipping costs which can be high on heavy things like brakes.    Brakes is the one place I consistently see that.   Many other parts are hit and miss or often cheaper online.

My guess is a lot of the pricing is a strategy rather than a flat markup.  Someone is looking at what people buy or may buy together.   Maybe they found that people look at the price of the rotors but not the pads?  So you buy the rotors there and get the pads and maybe a bottle of fluid while you are there?

Has anyone else noticed different pricing between different locations of the same store?   Say the north and south locations are the same brand and are both either cooperate or by the same franchisee.   Recently I needed some brake calipers fast and has a friend that was coming anyway so he stopped by one location for the left and paid $29.  I paid $35 for the right side.  Same brand and model and all.   Both sides were $35 at my store because originally they said they had both in stock.  One had gone missing so that is why they told me they could get one from another store.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

As a DIY guy from way back, I have noted a consistent reason for me to purchase through NAPA-- their counter people are knowledgeable and provide me with advice when I'm in doubt, which is often the case, so I ask for help, and NAPA people take time to explain.   Happy day, James