News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car haulers

Started by 5390john, February 06, 2019, 07:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5390john

Looking for any referrals and relevant comments regarding car haulers. My '55 CDV is entered in the La Jolla Concourse in April and I need to transport there and back from Portland OR. It's roughly 1100 miles each way.
I have been calling for quotes from Hemmings advertisers and finding that most are brokers. It appears that there is quite a network of both regional and national carriers.
Any comments from the gallery?
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

John,
Here's the way I understand it. NO large car carriers are gonna haul your car to a show & hang around & wait. They only make money when they're moving. Now maybe you can find a guy with a single trailer. Plan on paying him standby time , meals, motel ETC.
Good Luck.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

z3skybolt

Call Passport Transport.  They are nation wide.  Might be a delay getting your car home. But with pre planning they will get it to the show on time.  They transported my LaSalle from eastern Delaware to Missouri three days after I requested it . Charged just over $1,100.00. Top notch. Beautiful enclosed semi-trailer. Expert handling.

Good Luck,

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bob,
Sounds good on paper. But... who's gonna store the car until it gets picked up?? My experience is that the big guys are not prompt time wise.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

z3skybolt

Valid point Bob. My car was waiting in the previous owner's garage.  Different scenario. However Passport had several semi in the area at the time because of a large car show. That was the reason that my car was delivered so quickly. Don't know it that would be true in this instance.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

35-709

No direct experience but I do notice at major shows, such as concours and auctions, there are big name car haulers all over on "go home" day.  Reliable, Horseless Carriage, Passport, etc. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

kkkaiser

be care full of the quote you receive,, my one experience was poor with them,,,, the truck company, (broker) said it would be 500, pay 175 up front,, so i did,, when car arrived.. driver said i owed him 500,, that he 175 was the brokers fee.. he didnt bother to tell me that,, they remind me of fast talking shysters.. i will haul my own if i possibly can from now own,,

RobertM

Angels Moving Autos 530-245-0481 was good for me. They are a referral service out of California. I moved my car from the body shop in NC to my home in CT in a closed carrier, cost me about $1000.
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA