News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'61 - '62 upper support arm bushings

Started by James Landi, February 08, 2019, 08:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

Based on your experience, what is the approximate "service life" of the upper support arm bushings of the 1961-62 model year Cadillac, as it relates to the odometer reading/miles driven?   Thanks for your input.   James

Scot Minesinger

Rubber bushings fail generally due to age, temperature of environment, heat cycles (short trips heat them and they cool down as opposed to highway trips), and of course mileage.  I had a 1970 SDV (on a 1962 vs 1970 it might be same part number), and at 45 years old and 35k miles they were completely gone and I replaced them.

I would say any 1970's or older car, all the rubber suspension parts (and most all other rubber parts) should be replaced if you plan to drive it much - trailer queen with only parking lot driving they can remain.

Good news is 1962 Cadillac is last year of the 1981 and earlier V-8's with steel timing chain cam sprockets (in lieu of nylon coated aluminum) and so timing chain does not automatically need to be replaced.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty