News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

58 Sabre Wheels

Started by TonyZappone #2624, February 10, 2019, 06:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyZappone #2624

A friend of mine passed away last year.  His son told me about some old car things in the basement.  There is a set of Sabre wheels.  What number would identify them as 1958, or, do they fit all years?
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

J. Gomez

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on February 10, 2019, 06:44:00 AM
A friend of mine passed away last year.  His son told me about some old car things in the basement.  There is a set of Saver wheels.  What number would identify them as 1958, or, do they fit all years?

Tony,

FYI

There is lengthy details on saber wheels at Lou’s https://1956eldorado.blogspot.com/ site, here is the link with details for ‘55-’58 -> https://1956eldorado.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-cadillac-sabre-wheel.html

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

TonyZappone #2624

Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Roger Zimmermann

Over all the years I'm looking at this forum, I always wonder why people cannot spell the names correctly? I see a lot of Hydromatic and especially Saber wheels. Is the words SABRE and HYDRAMATIC so difficult to retain?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TonyZappone #2624

Perhaps I have never seen Sabre spelled the "proper" way.  Meanwhile, I will forward this Faux Pas to the University of Buffalo, and see if they wish to revoke my B.A.  Ed.M. 
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Or "Hearst" when referring to a funeral car...

In all of my posts, I do try hard to spell things correctly, but I do try to "grin and bear it when I see something misspelled." However, Tony, we will let you keep your degree as we would miss you...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on February 10, 2019, 12:32:54 PM
Over all the years I'm looking at this forum, I always wonder why people cannot spell the names correctly? I see a lot of Hydromatic and especially Saber wheels. Is the words SABRE and HYDRAMATIC so difficult to retain?

Yes, like people who refer to a Hurst shifter as a Hearse shifter. To add to the confusion, didn't GM refer to the Sabres as Turbine rims? Clay/Lexi

TonyZappone #2624

Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

cadillacmike68

OK. As long as you are a self appointed private in the grammar police, the Colonel will assist you:

Are the words Sabre and Hydramatic...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

V63

The original posting has ‘saver’ wheels...probably a spell check issue.

Generally today...To’ and ‘too’ confusion is a far greater problem 😳

followed by break and brake!

Roger Zimmermann

As a guy speaking French, I'm doing enough spelling or grammar errors while writing in English. But for you, Americans, I have the opinion that those well known names in the Cadillac world should be written correctly.
Sorry Tony: it was not addressed directly at you but at all those people writing those 2 names incorrectly when they are so easy to check.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Not at all directed at Tony but we should strive for accurate spelling. I wish I could read and write in another language like Roger. Regarding the Sabre question, I think there is a good article on them in the link Jose posted. Clay/Lexi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Given that a certain Buick model is spelled "LeSabre" the "alternative" spelling is certainly understandable.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

59-in-pieces

Thanks to Mr Gomez for the links - and the resource and knowledge therein - Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster.

To me - in need of information for my 57 Eldo Biarritz - I find this site a labor of love and it provides a very focused source of the details of these cars.

FROM THE CHEAP SEATS - Unfortunately, the thread seemed to deteriorate into a meeting of the grumpy old English Teachers' Club.

Like Berry, I over look the spelling and grammar mistakes that run rampant in many posts, and consider how lucky we are to have members and non-members still interested in the marque - folks looking for guidance and others offering up their experiences.
At least, that's why I like this site.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Quentin Hall

Gran’ma Police. Haha. Easiest way to tell is to roll them over. ( on blankets not on the bloody concrete or bitumen.) The back face edge of the casting against the steel rim has a small chamfer on 55 56 and a large chamfer 57 58.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on February 11, 2019, 03:05:56 AM
As a guy speaking French, I'm doing enough spelling or grammar errors while writing in English. But for you, Americans, I have the opinion that those well known names in the Cadillac world should be written correctly.
Sorry Tony: it was not addressed directly at you but at all those people writing those 2 names incorrectly when they are so easy to check.

I'm sure saver was a typo. the v and b are next to each other.

Well, Sabre in French is the same as Saber in English. Many of the names for various models, and other items on Cadillacs were of French origin deVille, Cabriolet, etc.), or Spanish (ElDorado, Seville).  And English is a difficult language to master because of the many irregular verbs and noun forms, so I didn't mean to call you out specifically Roger.

That said, it's amusing to read some threads.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Frencheldo57

Hello Roger
Thanks for your proposition to sell me one sabre wheel and its hubcap for my 57 eldo. As I mentioned I’m located in Bordeaux  and have the possibility to get it during your next stay in France
Please send me your offer to marcantoine.foureemail addresses not permitted
Best regards
Marc
Best regards
Frencheldo57

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the response. I will do some pictures the next few days as I have the impression it's not urgent!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Young

Let us not forget the classic ( Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible ) listings.