News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

An ATS-V Converitble??

Started by James Landi, February 10, 2019, 03:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

This article is part of the GM Authority Mailbag series, where the GM Authority Crew features and replies to  questions, comments, and observations.

The following is from "Robert":

"Cadillac wants to compete against BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, Jaguar, etc. but doesn’t have a convertible. Why not? I’d hate to have to buy a foreign car."

Cadillac's response: Robert, your observation is spot on; Cadillac is at a competitive disadvantage by not offering a drop-dop, and needs at least one convertible in its lineup. In fact, it hasn’t had one since the Cadillac XLR was discontinued in 2009.

At this point, the vehicle that seems to be the most likely to receive a convertible is the ATS Coupe. The vehicle has been rumored on an on-again, off-again basis even since before the release of the ATS Sedan back in 2013.

And now that Cadillac has pushed the 2016 ATS-V Sedan, 2016 ATS-V Coupe, and 2016 CTS-V Sedan out the door, we’re hoping that it will turn its attention toward making an ATS Convertible a reality for the 2016 or 2017 model years.

Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much confirmation that such a vehicle is the works. In fact, as of this writing, there hasn’t been a single spy shot of an ATS Convertible, or any Cadillac convertible for that matter, undergoing testing. But something tells us to remain hopeful. And that’s the advice we’ll share with you as well.

Above and below: we render the Cadillac ATS Convertible.

Cadillac ATS Convertible Rendered 3
Cadillac ATS Convertible Rendered 2
Cadillac ATS Convertible Rendered 1

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/07/robert-is-wondering-why-cadillac-has-no-convertibles-mailbag/#ixzz5fA3jlNzg

cadillacmike68

I've been waiting for Cadillac to introduce a convertible for years,  but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

wrench

Ya know? If they were really smart, they would come out with an AWD convertible.

That's what I want, but the only real options are a Jeep or an Audi.

I want a car. I want it to be good in the snow and I want to be able to put the top down on nice days.

That's all I want, is that too much to ask for?

Well, and made in America of mostly American content.

lol,
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Scot Minesinger

Jim,

How about optional AWD, I do not like that very much?

It would be great if Cadillac offered a RWD V-8 convertible with a back seat, retractable hard top in lieu of soft top a plus.

Before the old Cadillac president left, he did say that Cadillac would have a new flagship that would not be a four door sedan, so hopefully this was in the works and it is not that SUV electric vehicle recently revealed.  Maybe it will be a convertible?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: James Landi on February 10, 2019, 03:18:25 PM
Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much confirmation that such a vehicle is the works. In fact, as of this writing, there hasn’t been a single spy shot of an ATS Convertible, or any Cadillac convertible for that matter, undergoing testing. But something tells us to remain hopeful. And that’s the advice we’ll share with you as well.

The ATS is going away but the upcoming CT4 (essentially an ATS replacement) and/or the larger CT5 is expected to have a coupe variant but no word on whether there will also be a "factory" convertible.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: wrench on February 10, 2019, 11:11:14 PM
Ya know? If they were really smart, they would come out with an AWD convertible.

That's what I want, but the only real options are a Jeep or an Audi.

BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes and Porsche also offer AWD convertibles.

Rich S

Here's a link to the best rendition of the upcoming Cadillac CT5 Coupe  that I have seen yet:

https://ls1tech.com/articles/cadillac-ct5-coupe-coming/

The article mentions the car will be designed on the Alpha-II platform of the Chevrolet Camaro, and since that model offers a factory-built convertible, maybe there is one in the works at Cadillac? It surely would be nice . . .  8)  This model, if styled right, may generate "showroom traffic" that would help other Cadillac models to sell better.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

wrench

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on February 11, 2019, 08:29:15 AM
BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes and Porsche also offer AWD convertibles.

Lol, thanks, but I think I joked about American...but not really.

I'm not a big fan of foreign cars. Uncle was KIA at Iwo Jima and my dad fought the Germans along with 3 more of his brothers.

It's a cultural thing for me.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

wrench

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on February 10, 2019, 11:40:33 PM
Jim,

How about optional AWD, I do not like that very much?

It would be great if Cadillac offered a RWD V-8 convertible with a back seat, retractable hard top in lieu of soft top a plus.

Sounds good to me...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Scot Minesinger

The nice thing about using the Camaro platform for the CT5 is that the Camaro also is available as a convertible.  Maybe we will get that RWD V-8 4 seater convertible after all.

INTMD8

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on February 12, 2019, 12:28:56 AM
The nice thing about using the Camaro platform for the CT5 is that the Camaro also is available as a convertible.  Maybe we will get that RWD V-8 4 seater convertible after all.

I'm not personally a fan of that chassis in convertible form.  Even with all the aluminum plate scaffolding they added underneath it has an alarming amount of cowl shake/flex.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: wrench on February 11, 2019, 10:41:55 PM
Lol, thanks, but I think I joked about American...but not really.

I'm not a big fan of foreign cars. Uncle was KIA at Iwo Jima and my dad fought the Germans along with 3 more of his brothers.

It's a cultural thing for me.
Way back in 2008 or earlier, the late Tim Russert when he was talking about his dad and buying his dad a new car asked his dad if he would like a nice mercedes or lexass, to which his dad replies "ah, we fought those guys in the war, I'd rather hace a crown vic".

from this site:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/05/24/buffalo-tim

"As Russert gets older and more successfulâ€"as when he first appears on “Meet the Press,” as a panelist, in 1990â€"Big Russ regularly pops up to reiterate his teachings. “ ‘Just be yourself,’ Big Russ said. ‘Pretend you’re talking to me. Don’t get too fancy. Don’t talk that Washington talk. You’ve got to talk so people can understand you. Ask questions that my buddies at the post would want to know about.’ ” In particular, Big Russ displays a magic touch by taking perilous moments at which his son might reveal himself to have become just another privileged jerk and turning them into pure Buffalo gold. Russert goes to dinner at Spago, in Los Angeles, with Maria Shriver, and Big Russ comes along and tries to order a Genessee or a Labatt’s. Russert offers Big Russ the fancy car of his choice as a birthday present, and Big Russ picks a Ford Crown Victoria. "
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

I generally do not like anything but American cars and it is a cultural thing.  My Mother visited the Arizona in Pearl Harbor in the 1950's and she refused to ever buy a car from a manufacturer in Japan, even if it was assembled in America.  My Dad did own a few German cars, but my Mother never liked them. 

I have never driven a Camaro convertible to see if there is cowl shake.  I guess It is taken for granted because I never have that problem in my 1970 DVC.  I will have try one out some day.  A CT-5 in the convertible set up, with a V-8 RWD and 4 seats would be difficult to resist, even if there was a little cowl shake.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on February 12, 2019, 09:47:47 AM
I generally do not like anything but American cars and it is a cultural thing.  My Mother visited the Arizona in Pearl Harbor in the 1950's and she refused to ever buy a car from a manufacturer in Japan, even if it was assembled in America.  My Dad did own a few German cars, but my Mother never liked them. 

I have never driven a Camaro convertible to see if there is cowl shake.  I guess It is taken for granted because I never have that problem in my 1970 DVC.  I will have try one out some day.  A CT-5 in the convertible set up, with a V-8 RWD and 4 seats would be difficult to resist, even if there was a little cowl shake.

Well we did buy one foreign car, a new 2001 Miata for my better half. We both liked it, no comparable US maker car available at the time. Still none, although the earlier Pontiac solstice and Saturn Sky would have been ok, but those are long gone now. I drove it from FL to Ft Dix NJ one summer for a training class. My arms nearly vibrated off! BTW, those Miatas are made in - ... Hiroshima.  :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike