News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1946/1947 Cadillac Dashboard authenticity questions

Started by Jeff Hansen, February 10, 2019, 05:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Hansen

All,

I am preparing an update of the Class 12 (1942 - 47) Authenticity Manual and have some specific questions for 1946 and 1947 Cadillac owners:

Question 1:  Does anyone have a 1946 or 1947 Cadillac series 61 with the original woodgraining on the dash that is in good to excellent condition?  I am in need of photos of the dashboard clearly showing the woodgrain pattern and showing a wide angle photo of the entire dashboard (like if you were sitting in the middle of the backseat looking forward).

Question 2:  On the radio grill that was used on the 1946 and 1947 series 61 and 75 cars, was the ribbed background at the top of the grill painted?  If it was, it would likely have been brown (for all cars except divider window cars) or black (divider window cars).  I have seen one black and white factory photo showing that part of the radio grill was painted but NO surviving cars I have seen have paint in that area.

Question 3:  If a 1946 or 1947 series 61 or 75 series car did not come with a radio, it had a plate to cover the openings in the radio grill.  On that plate, in script, the word, "Cadillac" was engraved in the metal and the engraved area was painted so you could read the word.  Was the color of the paint ALWAYS black?  Or could it have been brown depending on the model (see question 2)?

Attached is a photo to visualize what I am asking.

Any opinions are welcome, but I need to know the basis for your opinion (have an original car, have seen numerous factory photos, have factory documentation, etc.).  Photos would be VERY helpful!

If anyone knows of anybody who has one of these cars that doesn't frequent this board, kindly let me know that and I'll contact them.  You can reply here or email me directly at garagedudeemail addresses not permitted.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Jeff :  There is a very original 47-75 down the street from me and will get some pictures of the radio grill in the next couple of days.  Bill

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Jeff,

I don't have pics but FWIW I hope following from the MPL may be of help:
'46  6 Series cars had dashboard and windows finished in "Oriental  Walnut"
'46  75 Series had dashboard and windows finished in "French Walnut"

'47   6 Series cars had dashboard and windows finished in "Tick Grain Oriental  Walnut"
'47   75 Series had Burl Walnut - dash, Dark Walnut - windshield, Tick Grain and Burl Walnut- windows

When you do get pics would you please post them?  I'm curious because I've never heard of Oriental or French walnut.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Jeff Hansen

Bill and Ralph,

Bill, thank you for your offer of photographs!  Please look for a private email from me.

Ralph, I appreciate your research!  Thank you!  I have been studying parts books for weeks, now, on various items trying to determine what interchanges with what.  I will post photos as I figure these things out.  The new manual I hope to have loaded with photos of things like this so that everyone knows what they looked like originally.

Thanks, again, gentlemen!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan