News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Measuring the end play on a '57 Jetaway

Started by Dave Burke, February 10, 2019, 07:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Burke

Hiya Gang!

It has been a while and much of that has been spent playing with my transmission some more - as in out of the car and on a stand.  As I am feeling pretty certain that the end of it all is fast approaching, I figured that it might be a smart thing to make sure tha the front end play is correct.  Now of course I do not have the Kent-Moore tool and am prepared to do things the more "low-tech" way, but I have a question for you all: Where in the heck am I supposed to insert the selective spacer?  I have the proper one - 8616703, and the instructions say to "install" it to the driven fluid coupling shaft - but HOW?  WHERE?  There is no place that I can see where it will fit without keeping the coupling shaft and the inner gear housing separated by more than an inch.  The images I have in the manual are only frustrating me further and the only other thing I can think of is that maybe my forward fluid coupler is not put together properly (and I will admit this is a possibility since I put it together).  On the input/driven side, the holes are about 1/8 inch above the low edge of the square cutout.  If anyone can post a pic to show how it should look - and ESPECIALLY where these rotten selective spacers are supposed to go, I should be all the more closer to getting my '57 Sedan de Ville back on the road!

Thanks as always!

Dave Burke
CLC#...now where did I put my card?

1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

J. Gomez

Quote from: Dave Burke on February 10, 2019, 07:14:35 PM
Hiya Gang!

It has been a while and much of that has been spent playing with my transmission some more - as in out of the car and on a stand.  As I am feeling pretty certain that the end of it all is fast approaching, I figured that it might be a smart thing to make sure tha the front end play is correct.  Now of course I do not have the Kent-Moore tool and am prepared to do things the more "low-tech" way, but I have a question for you all: Where in the heck am I supposed to insert the selective spacer?  I have the proper one - 8616703, and the instructions say to "install" it to the driven fluid coupling shaft - but HOW?  WHERE?  There is no place that I can see where it will fit without keeping the coupling shaft and the inner gear housing separated by more than an inch.  The images I have in the manual are only frustrating me further and the only other thing I can think of is that maybe my forward fluid coupler is not put together properly (and I will admit this is a possibility since I put it together).  On the input/driven side, the holes are about 1/8 inch above the low edge of the square cutout.  If anyone can post a pic to show how it should look - and ESPECIALLY where these rotten selective spacers are supposed to go, I should be all the more closer to getting my '57 Sedan de Ville back on the road!

Thanks as always!

Dave Burke
CLC#...now where did I put my card?

Dave,

Maybe this will be of help and give you an alternative to measure the front-end play you need to scroll all the way down.  ;)

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=135369.0

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Dave Burke

Hi J,

Thanks a bunch!! I have all of that and even linked that series of posts to my "Favorites" list.  My biggest question is: where and how does one fit the No. 1 selective spacer?  Or any others?  The illustration makes it look like it should just drop right in, but it is a ring of steel some .070 inches thick and I cannot for the life of me figure out how it goes in there.  Knowing that from time to time there are errors in the manual, I want to know exactly how to fit the darned thing to take the measurement.  It is too big in diameter to fit where the diagram suggests.  And who knows: this may have been rebuilt at some time with different components.  In any case, I am at a loss, as I am up against the problem of two physical objects trying to occupy the same physical space!

Best,

Dave Burke 
1957 Sedan Deville

Bobby B

Quote from: Dave Burke on February 10, 2019, 10:18:38 PM
And who knows: this may have been rebuilt at some time with different components....

Dave,
Hi...I've run into that problem before with a hacked Hydra-Matic and thank God I had an original to open up, disassemble and compare to, along with a few GM manuals from Pontiac and Olds included. Now that I have it all documented with teardown/rebuild pictures, it's a helluva lot less confusing to do. Good luck with your Trans issues!
               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Roger Zimmermann

Honestly, I don't understand your problem. As Bobby wrote, maybe you have the wrong parts. The figure 6-116 on page 6-81 from the shop manual is perfectly correct and using this arrangement while I'm checking that play. 
Maybe a picture or two to illustrate your problem would help to understand.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Quote from: Dave Burke on February 10, 2019, 10:18:38 PM
Hi J,

Thanks a bunch!! I have all of that and even linked that series of posts to my "Favorites" list.  My biggest question is: where and how does one fit the No. 1 selective spacer?  Or any others?  The illustration makes it look like it should just drop right in, but it is a ring of steel some .070 inches thick and I cannot for the life of me figure out how it goes in there.  Knowing that from time to time there are errors in the manual, I want to know exactly how to fit the darned thing to take the measurement.  It is too big in diameter to fit where the diagram suggests.  And who knows: this may have been rebuilt at some time with different components.  In any case, I am at a loss, as I am up against the problem of two physical objects trying to occupy the same physical space!

Best,

Dave Burke

Dave,

Maybe this would help you understand the process to place the selective spacer(s) at the drive torus shaft. This page is just the first step and I had to shrink it down about 65% to fit the file in the size and format here.

Unfortunately the file still close to the max size for posting but I hate to shrink it more and lose the quality, my original scan copies are close to 2Meg and there are 5 pages for this procedure.

You can send me a PM with your email and will be happy to send those pages over.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Dave Burke

Hi J.,

Well, I think you answered it for me because the internal gear splines will not clear the spacer.  It must have been bodged from another transmission.  I'll see if I can get a proper one. 

CRAP!!
Thanks again,

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville

fishnjim

Bigger issue; Good, early auto trans, people are getting scarce.   About the only one I trust any more is Fatsco.   U may want to call them/parts or info.   With little competition comes higher prices.    If they go out???
If my locally rebuilt doesn't function, as I have reason to suspect from leaks, it'll be going over there.   You pay all the money and it's a crap shoot - 2 many parts to get right, lack of know how.   I had the engine tested/dynoed after rebuild, so I know its right.   They used to have trans test machines, but I don't know of any?   Maybe some of the racers/high HP guys still do those things?
I don't mind occasional re-dos, but it's the yanking in and out without a lift that slows this down.   It's a heavy trans compared to aluminum cased.   U get wiser, not stronger with age.
This is a crucial facet for post war Cads, as they all had automatics, mostly evolving and imperfect.
So if anyone knows of better, please tell.   

Bobby B

Quote from: fishnjim on February 11, 2019, 09:29:54 AM
Bigger issue; Good, early auto trans, people are getting scarce.   About the only one I trust any more is Fatsco.   U may want to call them/parts or info.   With little competition comes higher prices.    If they go out???

10 Minutes from my house. The BEST Trans place ever! They go out of their way to help you with advice AND a great stock of used parts if you need them. Kits for the '47 Hydra-Matic in Stock. Walk in, pay, and walk out with additional knowledge, tips, and tricks that are priceless...
                                                                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

fishnjim

I don't like knocking places or recommending, but I had difficulty contacting the only other one I know and how I stumbled on to them.   Online resources are good also.