News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Axle removal question on 39 LaSalle

Started by LaSalle5019, February 17, 2019, 08:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaSalle5019

I am replacing the brake system on this car so I was cleaning up the rear axle backing plates and figured since I have them off I should check the rear axle bearings and inside the axle tubes for any issues.  The axles will pull right out but before I pull them more than a half inch, I wanted to make sure I could easily reinstall them with out pulling the center section apart.  My question is: Once I pull the axles out is anything in the carrier section (like side gears) going to get misaligned and prevent me from just pushing them back in?

My other question....the grease drain back shields that are located on the brake shoe side of the backing plates have a little carbon brush on a piece of spring steel that rides on the brake drum.  Is that some type of static guard? Where they worried that the static electricity generated by the tires would prematurely fail the bearings so they grounded to the chassis immediately using this device?

Thanks for the help.
Scott

35-709

Probably a static shield to keep static noise out of your AM radio.  You gotta be really old to be familiar with those shields.   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

No problem pulling the axles out and unless you can see these bearings are new, replace them.  They are not expensive.  They are sealed bearings with grease.  The seals fail with time and a bearing failure here is not nice.  Carbon brush as stated is for radio noise.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Bill Ingler #7799

I second to what Brad has said about replacing the axle bearings. I have been on 2 CCCA Caravans where an axle bearing has failed and the result was a fire. Fortunately the fires were put out but in one case, on a 47-75, the right rear quarter panel upholstery was burned. If you have any question on the age of an axle bearing, change the bearing for peace of mind.   Bill 

LaSalle5019

I'll pull the numbers and find a Made in the USA replacement. I'm not a big fan of replacing a good high quality bearing with an off-shore manufactured one. Thanks for all the excellent advice.
Scott

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: LaSalle5019 on February 18, 2019, 03:24:15 PM
I'll pull the numbers and find a Made in the USA replacement. I'm not a big fan of replacing a good high quality bearing with an off-shore manufactured one. Thanks for all the excellent advice.
Scott

If you do, please let me know when you find them. Right now I'm redoing all my suspension and steering components as well as all my wheel bearings on my 5019 too.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

camelot

Got my bearings and seals from OLCar Bearing company. George Bachleda. TEL 910-693-3324 southern pines NC. GREAT guy! Very knowledgeable, some NOS. Been in bearings for years. No website. Even has the bearing shaft for fan. Numbers help.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

LaSalle5019

Original bearings were a New Departure 88128 with metal shields
Original seals are a rawhide in a metal housing with no markings

Replacements I found are:

Axle seals (outer): National 450274
Axle bearings: National 88128RA

The problem with NOS bearings is the lubricant is probably less than ideal....dried out.  With new bearings you know you are getting fresh and high quality grease.

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: LaSalle5019 on February 18, 2019, 08:55:37 PM
Original bearings were a New Departure 88128 with metal shields
Original seals are a rawhide in a metal housing with no markings

Replacements I found are:

Axle seals (outer): National 450274
Axle bearings: National 88128RA

The problem with NOS bearings is the lubricant is probably less than ideal....dried out.  With new bearings you know you are getting fresh and high quality grease.

Thanks Scott, appreciate the lead.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

LaSalle5019

I received my "Made in the USA" National Bearings. They are going back. I'll leave my perfectly smooth New Departures in before I put these in.