News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mid engine XLR/Allante successor?

Started by James Landi, February 18, 2019, 08:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

Big Apple Caddy

I suppose this could be the "not a 4 door sedan" flagship car de Nysschen had been hinting at back in 2016 but there were rumors about a new Corvette-based XLR successor even before that.

Still no official word on what the new Cadillac flagship is to be, or if one is still in the works.

Scot Minesinger

That looks like a reskinned corvette.  I hope Cadillac realizes that a two seats car of any kind is not going to sell well.  Ford figured that out in 1958 with the Thunderbird, and then forgot later.  Ford should have made their retro Thunderbird introduced around 2003 a bullet or flair type with 4 seats instead of a 55-56 two seats type.  The two seats market is very competitive, with BMW, MB (several models), Corvette, Mazda, Toyota, Jag., and others.  There are not very many 4 seater convertibles with a decent drive train (defined as RWD V-8), the only ones that come to mind are Bently, Rolls, BMW 6 series, and MB S convertible - those are all past 100k, more towards 150k.  The Camaro and Mustang are for mid-life crisis guys.  A 75k Cadillac 4 seater V-8 convertible would be a seller.  I would probably be driving a Thunderbird today if it was a four seat type convertible.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

James Landi

Scott,   

I have owned an Allante, four standard sized Cadillac convertibles ('61, 72, 84, 85) and now the XLR.  The two seaters are, as you suggest, an up market occasional car, and in a seemingly more " crowded, hot, and flat world," they are truly an adult toy, but, for me and my wife, a guilty pleasure.   While one can make the same  case for any convertible, we "full size" convertible owners have, on occasion, put the top down and carried 2 by 4's home when necessity called for such a command decision, as an extreme example of utility, beyond transporting 4 passengers.     James