News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70 Fleetwood Body mounts

Started by Tony clc#24130, February 23, 2019, 02:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony clc#24130

I am looking for a set of correct body mounts for the rear of a 70 fleetwood. The 4 from behind the rear tire and back. What I have seen out there, they are offering generic stuff that really doesn't look close to original.

Scot Minesinger

Tony,

I have replaced these on all three of my 1970 Cadillacs and many others.  Wrote down very specific instructions.  Send me an e-mail at rscotm@cox.net and I will send you the article.  The car will drive way better. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Tony clc#24130

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Scot how do you know when a body mount needs to be replaced?

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Scot Minesinger

Laurie,

Without even looking at your car if the body mounts are original, the back four and front three probably need to be replaced, so check those first - and they are super easy to get to, don't even need to jack the car up to inspect.

A visual inspection often suffices.  Here is a very extreme example of a center radiator body bushing on a 1965 Cadillac that I replaced.  You can tell be a visual inspection and try and move them.  If they can be moved by hand, rubber is dry rotted, or otherwise look terrible, they should be replaced.  The car will drive way better and any squeaks or rattles will be reduced.

The nice thing about the body to frame body bushings I use is they are compatible with the original bushings that may not get replaced, and they are low cost plus indestructible - will outlast you, the next owner and the car.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Thanks Scot, I'll pull out the body manual to find their exact locations.
Might be easy to inspect, assuming a shop is necessary for replacement.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Tony clc#24130

I appreciate the article Scott, It's well done but Im looking for something that looks original with correct washers etc. If anyone out there has any leads I would appreciate it.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Tony clc#24130 on February 25, 2019, 09:28:41 PM
I appreciate the article Scott, It's well done but Im looking for something that looks original with correct washers etc. If anyone out there has any leads I would appreciate it.

Tony go to John Abends page on Facebook, he probably has a drawer full of them.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Scot Minesinger

Laurie,

Please get my article if you replace any bushings.  I have seen horrible results from some shops that are a major pain to correct, which I have once on a 1967 Cadillac where the body was ready to leave the frame.  The main take away's are:

1.  Keep body on the frame during replacement, put block under the wheels do not lift car by frame but use wheels so frame/body are in same position when on road.

2.  The bolts will loosen unless they are mechanically restrained (see my picture), unless the factory square captured nuts are used.  If the bolts loosen the car will leave the frame.

3.  The steering column often has to be realigned (column bolted to body, steering gear bolted to frame), this is easy to do an procedure is outlined in shop manual.  This is if you replace all of them, back four no issue.