News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67 Eldorado Level Ride system - where is the pump?

Started by airdefenz, February 24, 2019, 09:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airdefenz

We have a functional canister - can anyone tell us where the pump is that drives the level ride system? Car came to us disassembled and we need to install again.
Should we install an alternate level ride system? Suggestions?
Thanks All!

Scot Minesinger

fairly certain the pump is on passenger side behind front wheel under hood. 

Do a search on this topic, it has been discussed a great deal and there is a lot of good info.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Do you have a shop manual?? Dirt cheap on ebay.  It's located on the LH strut.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

hornetball

Pump is vacuum-powered and integral with the canister.  Probably non-functional.  Made by Hadley (air horn manufacturer).  No repair parts available.  Pretty simple to disassemble and cleanup though, you might be able to get it working if you're lucky.

An electric solution with a small reservoir maintained at ~100psig is a functional equivalent -- but doesn't look quite right unfortunately.

TJ Hopland

I'm with Bob, I think it hangs on the left strut / cross brace under the hood.    By 71 it was in the right fender.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eldo66

The Hadley level control compressor and reservoir tank are attached to the drivers side cross-brace.  See photo. 

It is difficult to keep a pump functioning for very long.  Over time, engine heat dries out the elastomeric components inside the compressor, and the diaphragm.  If any replacement parts are available for sale, I am not aware of them.  My brother collected about 5 old compressors and scavenged the best components from each to build one compressor that works.  Once you finally succeed, and get some pressurized air to enter the plastic service line to the height adjustment valve and air shocks, you get to start the leak-chasing process. 

But when you finally get one of these 50 year old automatic level control systems to work, there is absolutely no substitute. 

One quick point: if the rubber vacuum line is still connected between your engine manifold and your compressor, check the system carefully for vacuum leaks.  My failed compressor was causing a massive vacuum leak and a rough idle until I was finally able to figure out the cause - 2 years later.  So consider plugging that vacuum line until your compressor is repaired and functional. 

Good luck.

P. Nesbitt 
1966 Eldorado - Flamenco Red with bucket seats