News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Convert Rear End to Disc Brakes

Started by JR57, February 25, 2019, 12:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR57

We are new to this site and need some advise... My brother and I have bought a 1957 Cadillac Coupe Deville...we would like to upgrade the rear end to disc brakes... can anyone tell me what rear end we can use to do this upgrade...Thanks...

Roger Zimmermann

Are the front brakes still drums or have they been converted to discs?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

JR57

Front are still drum...we have the conversion kit to make the front disc...

TJ Hopland

I assume you already checked with the people that had the front kit?  If you got it from a good supplier and a rear kit existed I would think they would offer it too not to mention it changes the master cylinder. 

I checked a few places I have used and the earliest they show for Cadillac is 60.   Must mean Cadillac did their own thing before that and not many people are asking for a kit.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

walt chomosh #23510

Ruben,
  I would suggest you have a look at the CLC modified chapter web site (http://www.modifiedcadillac.org) for info. I run discs  in the front of my 1955CDV with drums in the  rear. Scarebird has brackets for my back also I believe so surely they would also offer  1957 brackets also.....walt...tulsa,ok

carlhungness

More than likely you are going to want a brake power booster so you'll be changing not only the master cylinder but adding the booster as well, and hoping you can figure out how to squeeze it in. I personally seriously doubt you will need discs on the rear. You'll recall when disc brakes came out they were put on the fronts, the place where well over 90% of the stopping power comes from in the first place. I would not go to all the trouble of changing rear ends just to install rear discs. Whomever did the front brackets can most likely do the rear as well. If not, a creative local hot rod shop can probably make you some brackets that will hold the rear calipers if your heart is set on them. Again, I sure don't think you'll ever need discs on the rear, there isn't any stopping power there under any circumstance, all the weight goes forward when you apply the brakes.

bcroe

Agree rear disc conversion is not worth the trouble unless you are
racing.  First you have the emergency brake issue, and then getting
the right proportioning to avoid rear lockup.  My 79 rear discs have
been so troublesome, I am looking for the rear drum version car parts. 
Bruce Roe

cadillacmike68

Front disc / rear drum should be just fine.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

JR57

Thanks everyone for all your advise...it is very helpful...