News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1975 Eldorado 500 cid engine expansion plugs locations

Started by tiugu, February 25, 2019, 12:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiugu

Hi,

This is my first post in this forum and I would like to thank each and every participant in this forum. I have found useful information in almost every thread.

I'm rebuilding my new hobby car engine ans since I could not find information about expansion plugs locations from shop manual or from any thread in this forum, I decided to ask myself and get clear where are all expansion plugs located in 500 cid engine.

There are 4 different types of plugs in expansion plug set.

1 larger plug in the rear of the engine, so called camshaft plug.
6 medium sized plugs for engine block water jacket (3 on each side).

Questionable for me are 3 small threaded plugs. I found two of them in the rear of the engine (seems like oil galleries) and one on sop corner of block in front. Are these locations correct?
There are also two smaller non-threaded plugs. I found two smaller plugs in front of the engine behind timing chain cover and two in lifter valley. So I'm puzzled which ones should I replace.
It seems like plugs behind timing chain cover in the front of the engine are plugs for oil galleries, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards,
Margus
Estonia

TJ Hopland

Some kits could include plugs for 'smog' rails in the heads.  A set would be 4 plugs on in each end of the head but originally 2 would have came with plugs so I could see someone maybe selling just 2.    I can't remember if they are the size of a US dime (18mm) or nickel (21 mm).

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason