News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vincennes Red

Started by harry s, February 28, 2019, 01:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harry s

I'm trying to get a match for Vincennes Red. I have come up with 1960 Ford Monte Carlo red along with a '92 Mercedes red. I also seem to remember Barry mentioning there is a Testor's red that is close. i couldn't find the thread. Help me out Barry. Thanks,    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, Harry, Testors is for the medallions. (Candy apple red.) What is a close match is Ford Engine Red. It has a kind of a orange cast to it. I first used it in the late 1960s so it would be around that time or slightly earlier. Maybe in the mid-sixties? (I'm not a Ford guy.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

harvey b

GM has a color called victory red,it is used on the pickups,2002 i think,it is very close to it,it has a orange cast to it ?, the testors red is also close,the little bottles are available at hobby shops,the paint is for painting plastic models,they also have other types of paint at hobby shops as well. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

harry s

Barry & Tom thanks for the info. What I'm trying to do is get a sample of a close match and then compare to powder coating colors. I think the powder coating would be more durable for wheels than paint.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

39LaSalleDriver

Not to derail Harry's initial inquiry...but how does the Vincennes Red stack up against Corsican Red? I'm hoping to paint my wheels this spring and would like to duplicate Corsican Red, but I have nothing solid to base the shading/tint on. While my wheels are already red, I have no idea what specific color they are, or how close they are to being correct.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Get in touch with Terry Wenger in Missouri. If he doesn't know for sure, maybe he could see if Marc Ohm still has the formula for when Marc did his LaSalle convertible sedan. I'm pretty sure it was a '39 and since it was light gray, it would have had your wheels on it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

signart

If you going to powder coat, I'll make it easy for you. Get a sample of Honda red RAL 3020 powder color. You can google and get a screen shot reference, but computer screen colors vary.
I had my powder guy match the wheels on my '59 Chev P.U. to my '53 Cadillac coupe wheels which are already Vincennes. I have a photo of my wheels, but rules forbid posting... for some ::)
Art D. Woody

bullet bob

Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Jeff Maltby 4194

I paid $200 to have my 49 rims p.coated in fire engine red...they looked great.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

harry s

I'm going to call the powder coater tomorrow and see if they have a cross reference for the automotive colors. Jeff, That is a good price for having wheels
(4?) done. Our local shop wants $100 each which includes bead blasting.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on March 01, 2019, 11:15:10 PM
Get in touch with Terry Wenger in Missouri. If he doesn't know for sure, maybe he could see if Marc Ohm still has the formula for when Marc did his LaSalle convertible sedan. I'm pretty sure it was a '39 and since it was light gray, it would have had your wheels on it.

Thanks for the lead Barry. I'll drop him a line.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019