News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillacs and campers

Started by CadillacJacques, March 02, 2019, 10:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacJacques

I heard today there was a Cadillac club that pulled airstream campers  anyone know of this club and are they still around?

signart

Lots of amazing video of this on youtube. If I remember, the guy that started airstream organized these caravans. Even took them across Europe in the mi 50's. Mostly Cadillacs, but I recall a Chrysler or Lincoln or such sprinkled in. You have got to check it out.
Welcome to the world of Cadillacs.
Art D. Woody

walt chomosh #23510

I own a 1955CDV and 1955 Airstream "Bubble"....there are number of vintage travel trailer clubs around,but,don't know of any that specialize in using Cadillacs as tow vehicles....walt....tulsa,ok

signart

Still looking for the European caravan footage, but it was almost exclusively Cadillac tow vehicles.
Here is a Mexican tour of Airstreams with only a sprinkle of Caddy's, I believe prior to the tour of Europe. Long but interesting footage.
https://youtu.be/sAvr6UL6VG0
Art D. Woody

signart

Here is the white Airstream pulled by the '56 Cadillac that founder Wally Byam took with 36 campers and tow vehicles to Europe in 1956.

It seems as I research this, that a total of ten Cadillac tow vehicles out of 36 made the trip and only one pick up truck
Where is the footage, I've viewed half a dozen times?

Art D. Woody

Maynard Krebs

In an old issue of Automobile Quarterly, is an article about Pierce-Arrow (pardon me), which once made some travel trailers, which were really 'fancy'.   In said article, was a photo of a Pierce from about 1934.. with a genuine Pierce travel trailer hitched to the rear of it.  The interiors were 'upscale'.. and even came with some genuine silverware in a wooden case... as a sample of its "refinement".

Some years ago, I attended a show in Northern New England.. with my 1960s 'heavyweight'.. and my close-to-top-of-the-line Coleman pop-up camper.   I took a photo or two of my 'combo'... but I don't know where it is now.   I did get the idea for the photo.. from the aforesaid AQ story.

CadillacJacques

thanks guys  for the info I will look into it .  My dads friend said he use to see the Cadillac's and campers  in New Orleans during Mardi gras  in city park. said they would come every year. I do the camping thing often and would be an added advantage to tow with my Cadillac to some of the car events out of town so I don't have to bring two vehicles

signart

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on March 03, 2019, 10:32:00 AM
I own a 1955CDV and 1955 Airstream "Bubble"....there are number of vintage travel trailer clubs around,but,don't know of any that specialize in using Cadillacs as tow vehicles....walt....tulsa,ok

Wally Byam (Airstream founder) took a "Bubble" Airstream camper on a scouting trip to Europe in 1955 prior to the caravan tour in 1956. No info on which tow vehicle he used on the scouting trip, but is documented that Cadillac pulled his custom Airstream on the 1956 European caravan tour.
16,000 miles logged on that 6 month tour!
Art D. Woody

walt chomosh #23510

Most of the vintage Airstream rallies that I've viewed used high dollar tow vehicles because the owners were rich! Don't know this to be a fact, but Airstreams are sold even today to more affluent people. (they simply cost more) Their either more affluent or they want to purchase a travel trailer that will be around for a VERY long time. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic and appreciate the trailer's construction.....walt

signart

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on March 05, 2019, 04:21:18 PM
Most of the vintage Airstream rallies that I've viewed used high dollar tow vehicles because the owners were rich! Don't know this to be a fact, but Airstreams are sold even today to more affluent people. (they simply cost more) Their either more affluent or they want to purchase a travel trailer that will be around for a VERY long time. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic and appreciate the trailer's construction.....walt

Evidently, this has always been the case. The European trip with 36 campers on the tour in '56 for a total of 87 participants, cost an average of $5-$6,000 for each vehicle/camper for the trip. This did not include the tow vehicle or Airstream.
According to dollartimes.com a 1956 dollar would be worth $9.37 today. 
Art D. Woody

jwwseville60

More even!
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC