News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 Sedan deville window switch

Started by olson187, March 04, 2019, 05:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olson187

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I have a 65 sedan deville and the window master switch works all the time, with key on or off. Im having a draw on my battery and trying to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Cadillac Fleetwood

1965's are equipped with a three position  "emergency" or "bypass" switch.  In the "normal" position, the windows do not operate with the key off.  Using the spring-loaded "emergency" position allows the windows to operate without the key. If the windows operate all the time, there is likely a malfunction with that switch, and/or its wiring. Over the years, these switches can malfunction, often resulting in no window operation at all, causing former owners (and backyard electricians) to attempt rewiring.  I would first check the bypass switch and its wiring.  There is also a power window relay behind the LH kick panel, which is vulnerable to moisture intrusion. I'd check that relay also.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

olson187

I pulled the "circuit breaker" out of the fuse panel for the window switch. im assuming this is the relay you are referring to? After I pulled that the windows don't work, how do I test to see if the relay is bad?

olson187

so the circuit breaker I pulled is basically just a fuse, learn something new everyday. I am up underneath the dash but I don't see a relay... is it mounted to the firewall?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Do you have a shop manual for your car? Most important book you can buy. Dirt cheap on ebay.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

savemy67

Hello Kevin,

The relay is located behind the left kick panel (as Charles mentioned).  The kick panel is to the left of the parking brake, not under the dash.

Your problem could be the switch, the wiring, the relay, or something else.  However, in these cars, wiring is often the issue.  The power window wires run through a flexible "conduit" at the front door jamb.  Over time, with the constant opening/closing of the front door, the bundle of wires inside the conduit is strained to the point that one or more wires break.  Often, as Charles mentioned, rewiring is done to make the windows operable, and sometimes this affects the operation of the switch.  You would need to remove the door panel to get access to the switch for complete testing and repair.  As Bob mentioned, the shop manual is invaluable for this job because of the wiring diagram.  For 1965, there may be a separate Fisher Body Service Manual.  I highly recommend you get both for your car.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scot Minesinger

Suffered this problem before and it was the rubber conduit from body to door had failed and the wires were cut by the sharp sheet metal the rubber conduit is supposed to protect wires from.  After a time this rubber conduit fails (kind of two large grommets with rubber hose connecting them). 

Replacements are available from Steel Rubber.  This is a very tedious job, especially if you have power door locks and/or power vent windows (It was this for me on a 1966 Eldorado) - the conduit is just stuffed full at that point.  The door panels come off, the kick panels are off, and etc. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

olson187

i have the switch out and I see the rubber conduit you are talking about. Mine is definitely broken but somewhat intact. You guys have good points on that but if the wires were broken, wouldn't it make the switch not work. Mine works all the time, constant power to the switch. I'm hoping its a bad relay but idk. I have the shop manual for the car, and I just ordered the fisher body manual.

cadillactim

Check and see if your lockout switch connector is on backwards. If it is this will allow the windows to work with the key off.

Tim
Tim Groves