News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 CDV Vent Window Frame Part #4153557

Started by mrlsc1, March 06, 2019, 12:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrlsc1

Hello Group!
I am new to this Forum.  I am looking for the Driver's side vent window frame to complete the restoration of my 1955 CDV.  The correct part number is "4153557 LH".  I have received 2 so far, but the pot metal frame of both is broken.  Any unbroken condition will be fine as I will be sending it to be replated.
Thanks for any suggestions or help you can provide!
Larry Cartales, Albuquerque, NM

walt chomosh #23510

Larry,
  Your asking for parts that are getting VERY hard to come by. Passenger sides are around but drivers are rare. I've been told that there have been many a Cadillac scrapped due to this issue. I have experienced the problem on mine and manufactured a stainless steel doubler with flush screws...barely noticeable and extremely strong. If you can't find an original part contact me and I'll send pics of how I did mine...walt...tulsa,ok

Bobby B

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bob Kielar

Did you try FadedFins.com? I have gotten parts for my 55 from him he is located in Canada but ships to the U.S.A.
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

M. Bankes

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the mention, all I have is broken ones as well unfortunately though,
Michael

Cadillac Fleetwood

This part was shared with the senior Buicks, the Super (Series 50) and Roadmaster (Series 70). This expands the range of possibilities as to parts donors. I owned a '54 Roadmaster Riviera (76R) and the LH vent housing was broken.  The donor car from which a replacement ultimately came was a '55 62 series coupe.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Ajmrh

Hi Walt,
I am interested in this fix you wrote about, I sent you a message on the subject, too.  Any info would be appreciated.
Michael

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on March 06, 2019, 09:09:48 PMLarry,
  Your asking for parts that are getting VERY hard to come by. Passenger sides are around but drivers are rare. I've been told that there have been many a Cadillac scrapped due to this issue. I have experienced the problem on mine and manufactured a stainless steel doubler with flush screws...barely noticeable and extremely strong. If you can't find an original part contact me and I'll send pics of how I did mine...walt...tulsa,ok

Lexi

I am almost certain I have a pair of complete LH and RH vent assemblies for 1954 - 1956 Cadillac CDVs. As Walt noted, it is virtually impossible to locate an unbroken driver side unit. My 1956 CDV's vent window frame was broken when I bought that car back in 1976! A flawed design which was well known even back then. We had discussions about it at the old Cadillac Club of Canada meetings. Two of us were also then members of the CLC and it was clear that this part's bad reputation was widely known.

As I remember my driver side spare part......was broken...... (surprise!), BUT...some enterprising individual appeared to have properly fixed it via a pro looking weld, many years ago. Not sure what process used, but it certainly looks durable. A unit I would not hesitate to refurbish & use, and even consider some way to re-enforce so as not to fail again, should the weld or another portion of the frame not hold up.

Interested parties can PM me and I will then pull the part and get a better description of it. I do recall that it required refinishing, but the big plus is that it appears to have been diligently repaired. So that bullet is dodged. Clay/Lexi

Ajmrh

Thanks, pm sent.

Quote from: Lexi on August 16, 2022, 10:54:49 PMI am almost certain I have a pair of complete LH and RH vent assemblies for 1954 - 1956 Cadillac CDVs. As Walt noted, it is virtually impossible to locate an unbroken driver side unit. My 1956 CDV's vent window frame was broken when I bought that car back in 1976! A flawed design which was well known even back then. We had discussions about it at the old Cadillac Club of Canada meetings. Two of us were also then members of the CLC and it was clear that this part's bad reputation was widely known.

As I remember my driver side spare part......was broken...... (surprise!), BUT...some enterprising individual appeared to have properly fixed it via a pro looking weld, many years ago. Not sure what process used, but it certainly looks durable. A unit I would not hesitate to refurbish & use, and even consider some way to re-enforce so as not to fail again, should the weld or another portion of the frame not hold up.

Interested parties can PM me and I will then pull the part and get a better description of it. I do recall that it required refinishing, but the big plus is that it appears to have been diligently repaired. So that bullet is dodged. Clay/Lexi