News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question for 77/78 Fleetwood owners

Started by 6caddy2, March 07, 2019, 09:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6caddy2

78 Fleetwood with standard headlight switch, when the switch is pilled out to the first position I thought that just the running lights should be on, but the head lights also are on? Is this an  indicator switch is bad?!

2nd question, when the caddy is started and running, the blower motor is running on low speed even when the switch lever is in the off position, is this blower motor relay, or deeper in the heat a/c  switch?! Or was this designed by GM to keep air moving in the cabin?!
History of car, spent 40 an a half years of its life in Las Vegas, all original, well cared for, but sat for the last 8yrs, the gentleman I purchased the car from was 88yrs young, he started it once a week for the last 8yrs but did not drive it. His wife bought the car new and was a GM employee, after his wife's passing the car sat because he said it was to big for him to drive.

Thank you for any suggestions and or advice on these matters! Joe   
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If equipped with Twilight Sentinel and it's turned off, the regular headlight switch should operate as you've described; 1st position - running lights, 2nd - running lights + headlights.

Blower remains on a low speed at all times once the engine reaches near full operating temperature even when the Climate Control selector lever is in the off position.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

I believe on the 70's cars blower runs on low speed any time the key is on, doesn't matter where the selector is including off.  After that it all depends on the mode and temps involved if it will come off low.

Twilight sentinel was my thought too except for doesn't that work when the main switch is off too?     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

I could be wrong but I don't think the constant low-speed blower comes on until the engine has reached a certain temperature. (Including the speed at the OFF position).

When using the Twilight Sentinel the main headlight switch is left in the off position (fully pushed in) otherwise the lamps would continue to remain on, defeating the whole purpose of the Twilight Sentinel. 

TJ Hopland

The blower running in OFF could be one of those things that they were playing with.  I was going to tell you for sure which years I have owned or currently own do it but now don't trust my memory and don't have any handy at the moment to test.   I know there are years in the 70's that are always on.  I have owned and worked on too many to remember for sure if they were all or if it was just some. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

There were cars that ran the blower on at least low all time, however
just some high end (Cad, Toronado, etc) did have an engine cold cutoff
switch.  Defrost still works.  So I would drive 8 miles from work in 20
below zero, and get zero heat until I was home.  Excuse me, some heat
from the partially warmed engine is WAY BETTER than 20 below zero. 
That cutout switch was very soon defeated, I will be the one deciding
when to run the blower.  Bruce Roe

6caddy2

Thank you guys for the replys and info, I'm buying a service  manual plus also the body by fisher book as well.

So from the input, I'm going to say the blower motor and it's climate control switch for now, is working properly.. ::) :D

The car has the regular headlight switch, but from the input here, I think that the head lights are going to come on when the switch is pulled to the first position,  have to wait on service manual and dig deeper into that, but as stated here this cars' lights might be setup as that the low beams come on when pulled to 1st position.

Thank you for your time and input, Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

Your concerns are valid Joe - they should not be working as you've described.