News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 OPTION LIST?

Started by MAX GRETENCORD, March 10, 2019, 04:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAX GRETENCORD

Is there an official factory "printed" list of options for a 1953?  I have the build sheet for my sedan but wonder if there is a list of what it could have had.  Something other than the firewall tag which I have on the car and the authenticity manual.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Max, take a look at pages 35 thru 39 of this listing.

This listing is made available by the Raritan River Region

Lots of options could have come on a 53 Cadillac.....

http://www.rrrclc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CLC-Color-Database-2017-03-20.pdf

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

MAX GRETENCORD

thanks just what I was looking for
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

jdemerson

Max and Mike,
      That is a terrific resource, one that I've often used.  The authors of that project deserve an enormous "thank you" from all CLC members!

John Emerson'
1952 Cadillac sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

59-in-pieces

I am by no means an expert on 53's, but a couple of years ago when I was seriously looking for a project 53 Eldo, I was told it was very important to make sure the engine had the "added" - accessory vacuum pump - they were often stolen, and very difficult to find/replace. See pic..
I had not found any mention in the literature of this vacuum pump.

The reason the pump was important was that the cars were notorious for losing vacuum going up hills under power - but weren't all cars of that time - like poor vacuum wiper function.

Would someone with more knowledge/experience chime in to help sort this out.

Have fun,
Steve B.

PS
I'm still looking - help if you can!
S. Butcher

Caddieman53

The 53 Eldorado's were fitted with the accessory vacuum pump because of the special curved windshield they had. The engineers thought that the extra vacuum assist would help the wipers negotiate those curves better. They were not fitted on the other Cadillac models. All others used the vacuum pump section of the fuel pump for vacuum assist. (doesn't help much). I would bet that the Eldo's with the accessory vacuum pump, together with the vacuum pump section on the fuel pump wasn't much help either under acceleration.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine