News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Janice's 1974 Persian Lime Firemist Eldo Convertible

Started by hornetball, March 11, 2019, 06:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaR

My car is fairly unmodified and everything in the trunk is covered in the black felt carpet. When I replace the carpet in the car, I will probably put the same carpet in the trunk also.

hornetball

Quote from: MaR on May 29, 2019, 10:36:37 AM
My car is fairly unmodified and everything in the trunk is covered in the black felt carpet. When I replace the carpet in the car, I will probably put the same carpet in the trunk also.

It looks like that is what was done on my car.  It was exactly the same carpet as in the cabin.  Well done too, I had no idea it wasn't factory.

Bentley

MaR, are you going to replace the black cardboard sides and back. If so, do you have a source in mind to buy the replacement kit?
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

MaR

Since I have all the pieces, I’m going to reproduce them myself. They can all be flattened out so it just a matter of finding some appropriate material to make them out of.

MaR

$185 plus shipping is a bit steep for some cardboard in my opinion. Plus, I enjoy making things myself.

hornetball

Quote from: MaR on May 31, 2019, 02:04:55 PM
$185 plus shipping is a bit steep for some cardboard in my opinion. Plus, I enjoy making things myself.

At least it's $20 less than the same item from Caddy-Daddy.  Plus, it's already covered in the black felt.  I'm thinking about it, but I also like making things myself.  Also am itching to get back on my Lotus 61.  Dunno' . . . .

MaR

Actually, those panels are just bare cardboard. You still have to upholster them yourself.

hornetball

Quote from: MaR on June 01, 2019, 12:51:13 PM
Actually, those panels are just bare cardboard. You still have to upholster them yourself.

If you look closely at the description, you'll see that the part number in question comes pre-covered in black felt.

MaR

It sounds like you still have to put the felt material on yourself though.

Bentley

QuoteIf you look closely at the description, you'll see that the part number in question comes pre-covered in black felt.

You're right. It does say that part # CE00499 does come with felt. I called OPGI and they said it is not covered in felt. I need to buy this kit for my '68, which is a different #, CE00481. I live nearby OPGI, so I'll go pick mine up in person. When I'm there, I'll ask to see the CE00499 and verify if it's covered in felt.

While we're on this topic, does anyone know what is the correct fabric and color for these panels? Thanks. I'll post this question on the Technical / Authenticity forum as well.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

MaR

Quote from: Bentley on June 03, 2019, 05:38:15 PM
You're right. It does say that part # CE00499 does come with felt. I called OPGI and they said it is not covered in felt. I need to buy this kit for my '68, which is a different #, CE00481. I live nearby OPGI, so I'll go pick mine up in person. When I'm there, I'll ask to see the CE00499 and verify if it's covered in felt.

While we're on this topic, does anyone know what is the correct fabric and color for these panels? Thanks. I'll post this question on the Technical / Authenticity forum as well.

I can take some pictures of the stock material in my '74. I don't know if it's the same as was was in '68 though. It's a very dark charcoal color.

Bentley

Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

MaR

Quote from: Bentley on June 04, 2019, 05:33:12 PM
Mitchell,

Yes, please do. Thanks.
Here is the trunk material:

It's a very dark charcoal with whitish fibers mixed in.

hornetball

A couple of the U-bolts securing the driver's front fender to the inner fender we're broken, so I pulled the fender to replace.  Also gave me a good look at condition.  The car shows prior curb rash repairs on the front driver's side and rear passenger's side.  I'm guessing some kind of mishap when backing?  Who knows?  Otherwise, rust-free and clean.  I took the opportunity to respray the inner fender with some "rust-converter" flat black primer.

hornetball

I've got all the trim off and interior out and am waiting for my body shop appointment for paint.  (MaR, sure you don't want to come down here and spray the car for me?  I've seen your work.   ;))

In the meantime, working on other car systems.  One of the things that wasn't working on this car was the power door locks.  The solenoids were seized, a common failure mode on these when the rubber seals fail and water gets in.  Here's one of my OEM solenoids.  Clean on the outside, but frozen solid.

My initial inclination was to try to get an OEM-style replacement.  I would have expected these solenoids to be reproduced as they were common across all GM cars of the day.  But all I could find were NOS (~$300-400) or used (~$100-200).  Not only were these options expensive, but they retained the Achilles heal -- old rubber seals.

I wondered whether I could use a more modern type of solenoid in this application, so I took a chance on universal solenoids that were 2 for $10 on Amazon.

There is an important wiring difference though.  The OEM solenoid uses two coils that are grounded through the body, and our switch feeds +12VDC to one coil at a time.  The universal replacements use a reversible, 2-wire electric motor and expect the position of +12VDC and GND to swap.  This meant that in addition to the solenoids, I needed some SPST relays.  Amazon to the rescue again with some more $5 parts.

This is the wiring diagram I worked up for the project:

Some plain aluminum bar provided a good mounting base:

And here it is in the door.  It works really well and pops the door lock with vigor.  Let's see how long the Chinese parts last . . .

MaR

I believe the '77 and '78 Eldorado used a much more conventional power door lock actuator that is available as an aftermarket unit if your custom unit fails. If you are looking for more the stamped U nuts, I found exact replacements (same manufacturer) at my local ACE Hardware.

hornetball

Quote from: MaR on July 08, 2019, 01:49:07 PMI believe the '77 and '78 Eldorado used a much more conventional power door lock actuator that is available as an aftermarket unit if your custom unit fails. If you are looking for more the stamped U nuts, I found exact replacements (same manufacturer) at my local ACE Hardware.

The '77/'78 Eldo units (used in GM cars and trucks into the '00s) are similar to the universal units I used but are a bit bigger and costlier.  The '77/78 Eldo units also require an external relay circuit to swap polarity, they are not compatible with the existing '74 wiring.

Funny you mention Ace.  That's where I got my replacement U-nuts!  And, yep, they seem identical.

David King (kz78hy)

The door is a wet environment and those relays and connectors do not look to be sealed units...otherwise a nice solution.   I am probably looking at it with my GM engineering hat on, but felt I should note not that there is a reason sealed connectors and parts are used in side closures.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

The Tassie Devil(le)

Good job with the replacements.

I managed to free-up the frozen one I had, and replaced the rubber sleeve with a section of bicycle tubing.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon