Author Topic: Cadillac Mechanic Tampa area  (Read 881 times)

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
  • Name: Steven M. Tuck
Cadillac Mechanic Tampa area
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:38:52 AM »
I am looking for a good mechanic for my 1962 in the Tampa Florida area. Recommendations please.
1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://bit.ly/1NfPNHE
Car Show Signs and Car Photo Books
http://carshowsigns.net/

Offline Highwayman68

• 68 Fleetwood Brougham
  • CLC Number: 29574
  • Name: Mark Demyan
Re: Cadillac Mechanic Tampa area
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »
There is a new member to the Suncoast region club that found a mechanic in the area that fixed his early 70s Eldorado, his name is Mark Nathwani. He has to be a National member, maybe you can find him in the member directory.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 12:21:27 PM »
Thanks. Actually I drove up to "Running Great Automotive' and they said they work on the chapter president's '65 Cadillac. Plus they had a lot of great reviews on line.

I had them check a roaring noise and it's coming from the rear end. The owner said he wouldn't worry about it. He said that he has rebuilt rear ends and the noise complaint was still there.

Offline 35-709

• The most valuable antique is an old friend.
  • CLC Number: 4719
  • Name: G. Newcombe
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Did he check the rear axle bearings (back there where the rear end is)??  If the rear end (the "pumpkin") itself is making a "roaring noise", and he has rebuilt them before, and "the noise complaint was still there", your search for a competent mechanic is not over.  As I remember,  Cadillac rear ends of your vintage, and many other years, are not rebuildable and the factory "repair" is to replace the rear chunk as a unit.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Offline 35-709

• The most valuable antique is an old friend.
  • CLC Number: 4719
  • Name: G. Newcombe
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »
Ah!  Reading your more complete post at the Technical/Authenticity forums, I see the shop owner did check the rear axle bearings.  Not common for a Cadillac rear end to fail but it certainly does happen, and if it is "roaring" I think future failure is certainly a concern.  As I mentioned, parts are not available for your rear end because they were not intended to be rebuildable or rebuilt --- exchange only was Cadillac's way of dealing with the situation.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Offline Scot Minesinger

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 06:27:24 PM »
I had to replace the pumpkin on a 1967 Cadillac.  And that is right, they are not repairable, and are replaced as a unit as per the factory shop manual.  The failure was the ring gear and pinion gear were worn, and it made a low end vibration even at 5mph that was incredibly disturbing.  As an engineer if I go to hell that failed 1967 rear diff noise will persist for eternity. It was not a roar, but a low pitch groan.  A bearing failure in the rear diff may make a different noise?

Cadillac King in CA sent me a good used one.  A tooth pattern was run using the yellow goo and it was good, so it cured the problem.  That was 30k miles ago and a first place P22 at GN 2013 ago. 

I have ordered a lot of used parts from CK all with good success.  The price and shipping was surprising reasonable.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 06:40:26 AM »
I guess they were wrong about the '65 owner. He must be the president of another club. I understand the confusion.

Thanks Scot for the recommendation on CK. I used them when I first bought my car 20 years ago. I was trying to return a part which did not work on my car. Then the salesman on the phone told me "Stop Acting Like A F**king Woman," that was it for me. I guess they can be different now. Let's hope.

Offline Scot Minesinger

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »
Steve,

I used to run an HVAC parts distribution sales center in the Washington, DC area and am very familiar with the parts distribution business.  Knowing the distributor side of it helps me with expectations and making the transactions a success.  Some quick rules I live by and know from their perspective:

1.  If a part goes out an invoice is sent unless it replaces a part that was received by the distributor as returned.  There is no having them send you out a part while your part is in transit to be returned, or other such arrangement here two parts are out with only one invoice.

2.  Keep the phone call short.  Send pictures when you can. 

3.  Keep in mind they do not make the part, however they do select that vendor so you buy from them in hopes that they do not sell crap manufactured parts.

4.  The counter guys, sometimes I feel like they are the customer, but I don't care I want the part.  Judge by the part, service and delivery, not the personality of the counter guys on the phone.  The counter guys are generally lower wage people with less effective communication skills than people who can afford hobby cars.  The hobby car owner will most likely be able to out debate them, and then frustration develops.

I have heard many complaints about distributors that usually have nothing to do with the product and service and all to do with the personality of the counter guy. 

My advise is call CK (or another) and order the rear diff.  Keep in mind in 1962 I think Cadillac was still using a lower gear ratio diff with ac, so be sure and get the right one (look on the factory shop manual to learn how to ID them and tell the counter guy.  When you get the diff check ID of gear ratio and run a tooth pattern (this would be done by a place that rebuilds them and it would be for a fee - probably $50) on it to make sure the gears are not worn.  If worn return it and get another (do not disable your car for a bad diff).  Keep in mind on the return you can order another and pay (and return original for credit) to save time or wait for them to receive before they ship another.  They shipped a good one for my 1967 RWD Caddy the first time.  This process may take two weeks at best, maybe a month.

Good luck,

Scot

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 09:25:58 AM »
Scot, I appreciate your advice. I have sent some emails out for quotes from a few suppliers including CK.  I knew to include the ratio, example serial number and its location. I told them I am in search for a replacement rear end for my 1962 Cadillac with Air Conditioning and a controlled differential. According to the shop manual the differential for AC cars is a 3.21-1. The serial number is stamped on the bottom of the carrier on the flange adjacent to the rear axle housing. The serial number would be similar to 62WG000001 with the zeros being other numbers. The "W" represents a 3.21-1 differential and the "G" represents a controlled differential.

Regarding the counter person on the phone, there is no excuse for the use of profanity with anyone especially a customer. I would think that lesson would have been learned way before anyone started a job. But we all can be surprised and needless to say I was that day. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I had a business for over 20 years with over 75 employees and no one would EVER think to speak to a customer that way. I guess certain businesses tolerate or expect such. When our current administration gives voice to ridicule, bullying and profanity, why wouldn't CK do the same today. Let's hope they're more professional today.

Offline Scot Minesinger

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
Steve,

Wow!, posi and ac, hope you can get that.  I would consider not using posi because that may be part of your problem, those can require special lubricants and etc.  However, if the VIN shows posi and you want to keep it 100% factory authentic then posi it is.  You would never need posi in FL and I know you do not drive it on loose sand or in rain storms regularly and intentionally.

On the counter guy, please keep politics out of it (the forum), and I agree bad language never is a a great customer communication method.  However, if you can get past the lack of good bedside manner on the phone and attain the part from the best supply house you should be good.  Like I wrote often times when dealing with parts suppliers they need to be treated like they are the customer instead of how it should be in order for me to be successful in receiving the part I want in good shape.  I'm not saying this is right, just how it is and we have to be selective on which battles we choose to respond/dignify, valor is the better part of discression, and etc..

BTW I have seen your car and your patient level for detail and perfection is commendable.  The parts counter guys usually do not possess this level of professionalism, so your forgiveness and patience will serve you well.  20 years is several lifetimes in a business, and Tom at CK who usually answers the phone for me is extremely polite and professional.

Online corey raub

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 01:08:39 PM »
Hi Steven,
I’m not writing to criticize, merely to get an understanding of what you are saying.  I just don’t understand and since you wrote the posts, I figured I’d give you a chance to explain. You mentioned in a previous post that your bad experience with Cadillac King happened 20 years ago yet in your most recent post you blame the current administration for that bad experience.  20 years ago we had a different administration.  You can look it up to find out who was President then.  I wish politics could be avoided.  I really do.
Corey

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
Hi Steven,
I’m not writing to criticize, merely to get an understanding of what you are saying.  I just don’t understand and since you wrote the posts, I figured I’d give you a chance to explain. You mentioned in a previous post that your bad experience with Cadillac King happened 20 years ago yet in your most recent post you blame the current administration for that bad experience.  20 years ago we had a different administration.  You can look it up to find out who was President then.  I wish politics could be avoided.  I really do.
Corey
As Scot said let's just leave politics out of it. I will try and be cordial and respectful on the phone which is how I have always been whether providing a service or ask for one. One gets more will candy than salt.

Offline Dan LeBlanc

• Name: Dan LeBlanc
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »
Keep in mind, that was 20 years ago.  That person could have been terminated for other similar treatments of customers, quit, retired, or died by now.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Offline cadillacmike68

• Still crusin'
  • CLC Number: 15823
  • Name: M Santos
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 01:50:37 PM »
^^ IT was probably the owner, and he's not the most phone friendly person that I've encountered. CK is my last resort and I DO mean last.

Steve,

Running great is a good shop. I have used them. The one that Dave (highwayman68) mentioned is supposedly good too, but I haven't used them myself.

As Scot says, you will never need the controlled diff here in FL, but you may have reasons for keeping it completely as original. You might try refilling the diff with the required posi traction additive as I mentioned in the other post.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »
^^ IT was probably the owner, and he's not the most phone friendly person that I've encountered. CK is my last resort and I DO mean last.

Steve,

Running great is a good shop. I have used them. The one that Dave (highwayman68) mentioned is supposedly good too, but I haven't used them myself.

As Scot says, you will never need the controlled diff here in FL, but you may have reasons for keeping it completely as original. You might try refilling the diff with the required posi traction additive as I mentioned in the other post.
I bought the additive and will post an update if this helps.

Thanks all.

Offline cadillacmike68

• Still crusin'
  • CLC Number: 15823
  • Name: M Santos
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »
There is actually one part of FL where the controlled diff does come in handy, but I don't think you will take your car there:

Driving on Daytona Beach. My younger brother got his 1970 Fleetwood 75 sedan stuck there a long time ago.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13