News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1934 LaSalle.....More Pictures!...gota keep punching !!

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, March 14, 2019, 05:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Bob!....I'm lucky I can take a picture of what I'm looking at and not my chin......I'll work on the video....that's going to take some time....

Check this out....a set of 1934 LaSalle bumpers just sold on eBay....$3,100 !!....these were very rough....I'm really glad now I had mine fabricated.....talk about unobtainum!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174781706202?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=OG6HVW%252BxvVp2NrSuWf0CYL9RUBg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

carlhungness

Absolutely a magnificent body style and what a fine job of bringing her back to life you've done. I can tell you from experience you're not going to like driving it unless you get some outside mirrors, the 3-Window looks great because it has such a huge blind spot. You might be able to cruise some back roads, but don't try to change lanes on the freeway.
   I am in the process of drilling my top door hinge pins to accept, well, another pin that indexes into the stem of a 4" round motorcycle mirror. The right one is convex as it should be and the left is a normal mirror. I have a '37 LaSalle coupe that can be called a 5 window but even it has a huge blind spot and I know from my motorcycle experience that freeway driving is real challenge if you can't see both lanes. You want to exit..NOW, and are you sure there's no one in the right lane?
   Years ago someone did made hinge pin mirrors for my '37 but no longer available. In fact, some of the modern rectangular mirrors wouldn't look bad on either my car or your coupe. fabricating the brackets (to go into a hinge pin) is the challenge to make it look factory.
   A wide angle mirror in the cockpit is also advised.
   Great job and wonderful accomplishment on your vehicle.

dinhnguyen57

Back up cameras and maybe hidden side cameras in the side vents will help with blind spots.  A lot of these can be sent to your smart phone so you can put your phone on the dash and it can be a second rear view mirror.  Some of these systems can be connected to their rear view mirror, like the rear view mirror in the CT6.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Oh My....Back up cameras and maybe hidden side cameras!!...

This week I'm putting in a directional switch because people are waving to me when I'm hand signaling to take a right!!...haha

I did put mirrors on both sides, I just don't have good pictures of them yet....they don't look too bad though....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Here are the mirrors I put on the car....They're not great for the blind spots but better than nothing....

The head lights had small jewel like lights on top of the headlight buckets....somebody must have put them in years ago....I don't think they were stock....I used them for the front blinkers....

Advice...when you think your ground wires are ok...add another one...It always helps....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

DaveZ

Mike, Job well done! Sorry have had issues with login and finally figured it out:-) Hopefully we will meet up at a car show next year. It's funny you mention people waving back at you. That happens to me all the time. makes ya wonder:-(
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Dave,

It was a fun restoration.....and I'm really enjoying driving her around....people just stop in their tracks to look at the car....

There's something about the styling, the look and/or the colors that cause people to come over and comment on the car....

The serious car guys see the bi-plane bumpers right away....

The flow of the car front to back is really cool....1934 Cadillac LaSalle Coupe....

I received a lot of advice and encouragement from everybody here on the forum.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

chrisntam

The '34 has the best styling of that era, and certainly is worth another look.

8)

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Chris you are a great man!....your picture brings back a good memory....

This was the day I took the car to the local NAPA....It was the first time that the car had been on the road in 50 years!....

From this photo you can see my home made stainless steel bumpers....

Here are a few more pictures with the new bumpers taken this summer....

Thanks again Chris,

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

wheikkila

Wow Mike that is a beautiful Car. I haven't done a restoration in over 30 years. But, your car makes me want to do one.
                            Thanks Wayne

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Wayne !!

Jump in... the water's nice !!

It's only money & lots of time !!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

James Landi

It's a brilliant accomplishment and a tribute to your creativity, perseverence, and discipline.  Thank you for taking us along for that incredible  journey.  While the majority of folks who view your car now will be impressed, those of us who followed your narrative on this forum know just how challenging this project was.  Congratulations James

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks James,

I always look forward and enjoy your opinions....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

Mike, That's a beautiful example of such a distinctive car and testament of your passion.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

James Landi

Mike,

DId you ever figure out just how long your car had been "stored."  I recall suggesting that you estimate the age of the trees that grew outside the doors of the barn, and then you found someone's business card.  Was That mystery  solved?  And what did you do with the original engine... I recall that it had some "unfixable" issue.  There are a number of YouTube "posters, "  mainly young men who are successfully entertaining at bring abandoned older cars back to life.  (the most entertaining: Vice Grip Garage) --- these guys make a point of stating just how long an old car had been left, and what follows is getting the cars running----that's the challenge.   The guy on "Vice Grip" gets an abandon 70 Cadillac going after a 20 year slumber in a farm field.
James

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: harry s on December 05, 2021, 11:14:31 AM
Mike, That's a beautiful example of such a distinctive car and testament of your passion.      Harry

Thanks Harry, I couldn't have done it without your suggestions....

I remember complaining about that cast iron vendor we used to repair that exhaust manifold.....That guy did great work and that original damage was probably why the car was parked 50 plus years ago....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: James Landi on December 06, 2021, 07:29:39 AM
Mike,

DId you ever figure out just how long your car had been "stored."  I recall suggesting that you estimate the age of the trees that grew outside the doors of the barn, and then you found someone's business card.  Was That mystery  solved?  And what did you do with the original engine... I recall that it had some "unfixable" issue.
James

Yes James, that was the 1939 Convertible sedan I was trying to restore....that car was pulled out of a barn/garage in New Hampshire, I was told, that had serious trees growing in front of the doors....The trees had to cut down to get the car out....

I put in calls and emails to the original auction house that sold me the car.....I was looking for information about where the car came from....the family who had them auction the car....maybe they could tell me where or if they still had the convertible top frame, or whatever info they might have....

I didn't receive any responses from the small auction house in Rhode Island about any of this....What can you do?...you have to move on....

The motor that came out of that car was stuck beyond belief....Fortunately I had a rebuilt motor & trans that I swapped into the car.....the stuck motor had the matching chassis number.....I put that motor & trans in a pallet box and put on the shelf....maybe someday the guy who buys the car from me, Ill give him that motor & trans....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

James Landi

THanks for the up date, Mike--- there are engines that are simply not going to get un-stuck... especially when valve stems get stuck in the block---  I've un-stuck  pistons in such motors, but I failed with those stuck valve stems.  On the history matter,  It's unfortunate that no one took the time to provide some history--- it's possible that the car had some complicated past--- moved through various owners, and was simply abandon.  Takes a mighty effort from someone like you to resurrect these fine old cars.   Greatly appreciate your efforts and results, James

Artistic Precision

Love these 3 windows. Not really an orange fan myself but excelent job. Looks good 👍