News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1930 Cadillac Color codes /paint chips Parketa and Pinehurst Greens

Started by DFarlow, March 17, 2019, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFarlow

I ordered a copy of my car's data sheet from the GM archives, well worth the $50 fee.  Been through most of the numbers to make sure more than the engine number matched up and they did, so the sheet seems to match up to the car.  Color of the car is all black at present, but I have been suspecting it was different at one time.

The data sheet shows two colors of green used.  One is Parketa Green with a Rinshed Mason number 2445344  and Pinehurst Green number 23320.   I found a similar code in a 1929 Pontiac chip called Pinehurst Green with a slightly different named color in a 1930 Buick chip called Pinehurst Blue  (same color code as the Pontiac and they appear to be the same, but is it a match for Cadillac?). Found nothing on Parketa green at all.  Pin stripe is listed as ivory.  I did contact Rinshed Mason just as a possibility but haven't heard anything yet.

The fender paint is flaking badly and is very thin, black primer underneath, appears to be lacquer, maybe original?  The body has some flaking paint, but the primer below is oxide red, but the paint isn't cracking the same way as the fenders and with only a few exceptions holding up much better.  Black paint on the frame is flaking off and showing red in a few spots which doesn't make sense unless that was a repaint at some point as well.

I have the 1929 and 1930 brochures that show cars in color, but neither of them indicate the color names or codes.  Paint chips don't seem to be readily available for pre-1935 cars it appears.

I've attached a portion of the data sheet if anyone is interested.  This car has disc wheels and the sheet shows the color of the spokes and hubs as each of the different greens making me wonder if the disc wheels would have been two colors as well?

Anyone know a source that would show these colors / maybe a cross reference or have any insight on the paint originally used on this car? 

David Farlow

DFarlow

Found a 1947 Paint Sample of Pinehurst Green, but it doesn't seem to match the 1930's version at all.  Maybe Cadillac reused the name for a different shade of green?  I have put in a research request with the AACA library.  Hopefully this will turn up something in their files.

harvey b

Have you tried any of the major paint companies,I use Axalta paint in my shop,they have a 800 number to call,i have had good luck with them for old colors.Any of the big companies have similar departments. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

DFarlow

I haven't had much luck on finding the Parketa green chips, but it looks like 1929 Pontiac used the same code and paint for Pinehurst Green and then in 1930 the same color became known as Pinehurst Blue on Pontiac.  It was also available on 1931 Buick models as Pinehurst Blue.  Still hoping someone out there has a 1930 Duco or RM paint set that helps me identify the Parketa green color.