News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CT 5 Update

Started by T J Lankes, March 18, 2019, 12:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T J Lankes

Bill Young

Trying to be polite it looks like a Chevy malibu

The Tassie Devil(le)

Actually, at a distance, it looks like all the other cars that are on the roads now.

That is the trouble with cars these days.   You have to get up close and read the name.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

WTL

64\/54Cadillacking

I’m not impressed. Until they come out with something equivalent with serious visual impact like the El Miraj and Ciel concept cars, they’ll never be able to attract satisfied BMW and Mercedes-Benz owners away from their current luxury vehicles.

I really don’t like the Hatchbackish look of it’s side profile. Cadillac is still trying to chase BMW and we all know that it hasn’t worked well for them. What’s wrong with building elegant sedans? Why does everything have to be sporty?

I am not sure who Cadillac is trying to attract with this car, but if it’s young wealthy types (Millennials), BMW and Audi already has that demographic market on lock down.

This is plain insanity on Cadillacs part.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Rich S

This new CT5 is a disappointment, for sure. I agree with C. Asaro's comments. The design is especially "cheap" looking in the C-pillar "sail panel" area, where there is a black insert of some sort rather than a window! In my opinion, this botched detail defeats what redeeming qualities the fastback design may have had. If this model was intended to bring increased sales figures, I am doubtful. However, the car will likely look better in real world pictures, and especially if a Coupe is offered, such as in the patent drawings shown previously--viewed at this link: 

https://ls1tech.com/articles/cadillac-ct5-coupe-coming/

I am still hoping for a CT5 Convertible, since this alpha platform underpins the Camaro Convertible, too.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Big Apple Caddy

The sedan market is not as important or relevant as it once was.  Same goes for the coupe/convertible market.  Cadillac's sales successes, whatever they may be, in the current environment will mainly come from their Escalade, XT4, XT5 and XT6 crossover/SUV models.  Crossovers and SUVs dominate luxury sales right now.

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 19, 2019, 11:56:19 AM
The sedan market is not as important or relevant as it once was.  Same goes for the coupe/convertible market.  Cadillac's sales successes, whatever they may be, in the current environment will mainly come from their Escalade, XT4, XT5 and XT6 crossover/SUV models.  Crossovers and SUVs dominate luxury sales right now.

It’s obviously very important for Cadillac, or else why would they even bother building the CT5 in the first place? Even their CUV lineup isn’t all that, in some regards the CT6 Blackwing edition Cadillac is probably the realist Cadillac they’ve made in an extremely long time especially because it’s V8 engine is uniquely and specifically made only for Cadillac.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

D.Smith

If only they would give the cars names instead of the stupid alphanumeric BS. 

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: D.Smith on March 19, 2019, 11:09:58 PM
If only they would give the cars names instead of the stupid alphanumeric BS.

Right!? Haha.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Whatever they chose to name this car wouldn't help.

I'm sorry, but the only Cadillac offering I like out
of the current crop is the Escalade.  The rest look
like any other car from 15 feet away where you can't
read the "Cadillac" name.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on March 19, 2019, 08:55:21 PM
It’s obviously very important for Cadillac, or else why would they even bother building the CT5 in the first place? Even their CUV lineup isn’t all that, in some regards the CT6 Blackwing edition Cadillac is probably the realist Cadillac they’ve made in an extremely long time especially because it’s V8 engine is uniquely and specifically made only for Cadillac.

I will say again, sedans are not nearly as important or relevant as they once were.  Crossovers and SUVs dominate the playing field right now.  While Cadillac hasn't abandoned the sedan market, and hopefully never will, sedans simply are not as important to the lineup as they used to be.  Perhaps electrification or some other industry changes will revive the sedan market but we're not there now.

Scot Minesinger

Yes the a different name will not make a difference.  It will not make a good car bad, a bad car good, or bad car even worse. 

The look is pleasant enough, but it does blend in too much with other cars on the road, especially from the side and back (front is Cadillac).  The Malibu is a nice looking car, but the Cadillac should look more distinctive.  That rear pillar between rear window and rear door glass is not good styling to me.  I think to compete against the BMW3 series, MB C series and Audi entree level it is OK.  It certainly is no standard of the world or there be a concern that it may suffer penility for leadership though.  Same could be said for a MB C series, it is OK.

Maybe there will be a coupe and convertible version?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Cadillac will also be introducing the ATS-replacing CT4, slotted below the CT5, which is expected to compete against entry models like the Audi A3, Mercedes-Benz A-Class and CLA-Class, etc.

The outgoing ATS was available as a coupe and rumors are that at least one of these new Cadillac models will be available as a coupe as well.

cadillacmike68

They should name these all TDS - Too Damn Small  >:D
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike