News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle Parts?

Started by coupe33, March 18, 2019, 04:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coupe33

I purchased a 1939 LaSalle 4 door sedan last summer. Overall it is a nice driver but I am going to up grade as much as possible. Some of the body needs work and it is scheduled for May to repair the trunk lid. The car has no hood springs any one know where I can get some? I am considering upgrading to 12 Volt but the question is the generator replacement any suggestions?  There are no internals for the wiper system just empty any suggestions for electric? I can not possibly find any parts for this. Overall the interior is in decent shape for now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am too old to learn how to post pictures so there are none.
Ed Hawkins
coupe33

LaSalle5019

I have the wiper system out of my 39 LaSalle in case you need any measurements or photos. There are a number of parts on eBay (search on "1939 LaSalle -fits") including a wiper motor, left side linkage and NOS right side linkage.  Those parts are common to most of the '39 GM brands.

Why are you wanting to change to 12V?  The 6V system works just fine, unless you need to run an add-on 12V accessory. like air conditioning or electric power steering. 
Scott

coupe33

Well Scott.
To be honest the wiring in the car was done by a monkey or something quite close to one. I am going to have to rewire most of it if not all so I thought it might be a good time to change all of it. The items that work are out numbered by what does not work. Non-op headlights, heater, horns, tail lights. Starts pretty good but I think it needs a good flush. Maine does not require inspection but I would like to be able to do a few over night trips and not worry about driving after dark.
Thank you for the information about E-BAY
Ed Hawkins 

LaSalle5019

I was just thinking about gauges, blower motor, light bulbs, starter, horns?, lighter? that all need changed when going 12V.

coupe33

Past experience has been gauges can be stepped down. The blower motor has not been checked out yet and most of the lights would be brighter and a few bulbs changed over is minimal. If I need to go to electric wipers that will change the whole issue. Generally stock starters can handle the 12 volt because it is temporary. I have been checking LaSalle partouts but I have been unable to get these parts . Any ideas for hood springs?
Ed Hawkins

coupe33

Could somebody give me the length and width on the hood springs? Swap meet season starts around here next month. Thanks in advance
Ed Hawkins

coupe33

I have found some wiper parts for a 39 Buick and it is listed as also fitting 1939 LaSalle. Left and right towers and arms was wondering what else is needed to connect the two together?
Thanks for any help
Ed Hawkins

bariman

I always look through the catalogs for Chevy's of the 40's or Bob's automobilia when I'm parts browsing.  they have a lot of stuff that fits Cadillacs

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/shop/search.lasso?vehtype=All&year=All&Catalog=All&search=hood+spring&SeachBtn=Search&dept=&cat=&new=&sale=&showcase=&searchtype=FT&method=KeywordSearch