News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1977 Eldorado wheel house molding screws

Started by Rockne Smith, March 18, 2019, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockne Smith

My recently bought 1977 Eldorado has hex-head screws attaching wheel-house moldings to front fenders.  Rear 1/4 W/H moldings are attached with OEM Phillips head self drilling screws.  I worked at Fisher Body for twenty years and know the rear self drillers are correct, but never paid attention to front fenders put on at final assembly.  I assume front fender screws should be the same.  I'd appreciate conformation for that, and if so, what is part number/source for new screws for front?

Thanks.

J. Skelly

Rockne,

What you have is correct for the front and the rear, and the same setup was used on the '78 Eldorado.  I don't know where you would get new fasteners.  Hopefully someone else will chime in.  What you could do for the front screws if they are rusty is put them into naval jelly or a mild solution of muriatic acid and water, and dry them off thoroughly.  Then clear coat them with a flat clear enamel or lacquer.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

79 Eldorado

Rockne,
Sometimes clipsandfasteners.com has OEM fasteners. I can also say there was a place where I was buying stainless versions of OEM fasteners but the name escapes me at the moment. I like using stainless especially in the wheel house molding because I've noticed they are often really difficult to remove and that Phillips head doesn't help matters. I fully understand wanting the OE look though.

Our local ACE Hardware also has some which look similar as I recall.

Here's the link to clips and fasteners. Many times you can even search the OE PN if you know it...
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com

Regards,
Scott

35-709

http://www.totallystainless.com/  Totally Stainless has them, suggest you get their catalog and look it over, they have a minimum order so get whatever you need or might need at the same time.  Very complete catalog.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

79 Eldorado

Quote from: 35-709 on March 20, 2019, 07:57:22 PM
http://www.totallystainless.com/  Totally Stainless has them, suggest you get their catalog and look it over, they have a minimum order so get whatever you need or might need at the same time.  Very complete catalog.

Totallystainless was exactly the company I was trying to think of :)!

Thank you,
Scott