News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 Coupe de Ville trunk lid pull down issues

Started by morg1111, March 19, 2019, 10:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morg1111

Hello everyone!

New to the club and the forum after finally buying another Caddy for the first time in 15 years!  (Had a few before that - I have to update my profile)

My current issue is the trunk lid pull down mechanism.  It is hydraulic, according to the diagram I found on dbaer's website, but i cannot find any mention of it in the shop manuals I've found, or online.

Right now, when I close the lid, there is no delay between the hinge and the latch going down, so by the time I get the lid down, the latch won't engage.  I have to try an "trick" it down and end up slamming the lid several times before I get lucky and catch it just right.  I am hoping that someone out there can describe the workings for me, and maybe tell me what part needs replacing.

My theory?  The hydraulic is there to delay the pull down latch.  It is activated by the physical hinge "plunger", and the hydraulic shock then delays the latch by a few seconds until the lid latches to the metal flange, which is then slowly pulled closed as the hydraulic releases.  So I am guessing I have a bad hydraulic.  Anyone have a part number, or a way to find out who might supply replacements?  Or any other ideas?  (Maybe there is a switch that needs adjusting, or a flange needing bending?  haha)

Thanks in advance,
Mike
1971 Coupe deVille
1964 Sedan deVille
1965 Sedan deVille
1974 Eldorado Convertible
1980 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
1967 Sedan deVille

cadillactim

Been awhile since I worked on these, but it sounds the catch is stuck (or cable disabled/stuck) in the full down position. When you open the trunk the catch should raise and the cable will extend the hydraulic cylinder. When you close the trunk lid the cable relaxes and the hydraulic cylinder slowly pulls the lid full down.

Typically when the hydraulic cylinder is bad the lid will "snap" down because there is no pressure to soften the release of the piston in the cylinder.

Since your catch is staying down, check for a binding cable or if the previous owned rigged the catch to stay in that position.

Tim
Tim Groves

morg1111

Thanks for the reply Tim.

My catch is rising and lowering with no trouble.  However, there is no delay between the roller on the hinge being pushed down (on closing) and the catch lowering.  So when the lid gets to the closed position, it has "missed" the catch and will not latch.  My thought was maybe the hydraulic cylinder is there to delay the lowering of the catch until the lid can engage, and if the hydraulics have failed, the delay is no longer sufficient?  Or perhaps there is a mechanical switch triggered when the lid gets to the catch that then allows the hydraulics to pull the lid down tight.

I'm just hoping that I can get some info about the proper function before I start disassembling.   :D
1971 Coupe deVille
1964 Sedan deVille
1965 Sedan deVille
1967 Sedan deVille

morg1111

Update!

Found an online copy of the Fisher body manual from 1972.  This is where all the info on body parts is!  Found a full description of the trunk mechanism, as well as how to adjust it.  Wish me luck.  It may not be all that difficult.

https://cardiagn.com/1972-fisher-body-service-manual-pn-8705501/
1971 Coupe deVille
1964 Sedan deVille
1965 Sedan deVille
1967 Sedan deVille

Matti R

I`ve been working with my -71 Eldo trunk pull down, thanks for good hints in this thread!
I took some videos from inside the trunk to see what happens there. It seems that the hydraulic cylinder does not work properly. It starts to pull too early, and does not pull long enough. Do you agree?

https://youtu.be/DWKhyqljhwo

Hydraulic cylinder
https://youtu.be/IhTl1v-yuuU

Regards, Matti
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe