News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Filters for 1935 Models

Started by pmhowe, March 22, 2019, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmhowe

I find it interesting that the 1935 Cadillac V12 and V16 engines had oil filters. I believe that earlier and later V8 engines also did. However, the 1934  and 1935 V8 engines did not. Some questions:

1) Why not? If the engine compartment was big enough for a V12 or a V16 - with oil filter - it should also be big enough for a V8 - with oil filter. There must have been a deliberate decision to exclude the oil filter.
2) It seems useful to have an oil filter. Is there a way to fit a filter to the ’35 engine such that it works efficiently and effectively?
3) If there is no oil filter, is synthetic oil a waste of money - or worse, problem causing? (This is no doubt controversial, and has been addressed on other forums, but I’d like it addressed in the context of a 1935 Cadillac in good shape, not driven more than a few thousand (if that) miles per year.)

I love my Cadillac, and want to ensure we both share many more miles.

Phil