News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Solderless connectors (crimp) or solder connections for electrical repairs?

Started by chrisntam, March 08, 2019, 08:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Working on a 1970 troubled Cadillac that ran the battery dead in a few hours.  The former owner cured it with a battery disconnect in the glove box.  The #2 cables intercepted negative battery to ground and switched it off every time the car was not running.  I don't work like that.  There were about 100 crimp connections under the carpet.  I replaced them all with proper wiring harness and the battery lasts (has not died yet).  So not a fan of crimped connectors unless they are done correctly.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 76eldo on March 14, 2019, 12:03:30 PM
That’s a typo. It’s not “sodder”. It’s solder.   
I was referring to the way it sounds when people talk about soldering on the TV shows.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadelec

as i am a railway signal electrician i believe that a properly crimped lug is the best. our australian standards do not allow soldered joints . we have to supply a sample crimp for every 50 lugs we do these are then subjected to a pull test to breaking point and the breaking strain measured. our work is safety critical so quality is an utmost. this is what we use https://www.tradesparky.com/tools-and-workwear/hand-tools-and-blades/cable-tools/cembre-hp3-ratchet-crimping-tool
CLC# 25054
Trevor Pordage
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1958 Eldorado Brougham #656
1950 Series 62 Sedan

cadillacmike68

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 13, 2019, 08:39:18 PM
And we cannot forget the accents.

Bruce. >:D

Bloody well right (from Supertramp)

I use both types of connections and have not had any issues with either method.

\m/

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

davedeltadog

I just bought some of these. They solder and heat shrink at the same time. I haven't used any yet except to test and was not able to pull apart.

Glen

That looks like what we used for shielded leads.  The shield is there to reducer RF noise.  The solder ring solders the shield and the hot melt glue rings glued the outer covering at one side and the leads on the other.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Maybe it was 1989 or 1990. We, as GM DSMs, we had a 5 week technical  training in the USA. To repair wiring for the air bags, the instructor showed us similar "connectors" which had to be waterproof.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101